Chapter 12

???'s POV

"D-d-dad.... Janko.... m-mommy..." The fanalis girl was muttering words and names under her breath. "Master!"

"How long will this take?! It's been hours of replaying these memories and nothing!" Someone said frustrated. Their feelings were understandable. If this girl doesn't fall by the time the magis and the king vessel show up, we won't have as great of a chance of winning. But the girl is resilient. Her rukh remains white even after being forced to watch her past over and over again.

'Impressive. Almost inspirational.' I chuckle as I think that.

Lady Gyokuen walked up to the fanalis. "It looks as though we'll have to dirty our own hands." Most of us were unsure by her meaning. "We shall wake her up and give her the feeling of hopelessness... that should do it." The Empress placed a hand on the prisoner's forehead and the girl woke, screaming.

"What did you do, Lady Gyokuen?"

"Nothing. She is responding to her memories now." Our leader began leaving the room but she turned back to speak again. "The magis and kings are coming. Act quickly." She flashed a beautiful, fake smile before leaving.

The teen fanalis was gasping. "W-what are you going to do?" She was nervous but she didn't seem as scared as she has been before.

Without responding to her question, her restraints were tightened more which caused her wrist and ankles to bleed as her midsection skin was being torn into.

She let out a blood curdling scream. Her rukh was still pure and the enemy was almost at our door step. We had to cause more pain, more grief.

Several of us picked up weapons such as whips or knives or even our own wands. "You should know that dark magi of yours won't be coming for you."

"Judar only cares about destruction. I bet he'll be upset that he wasn't here to torture you himself."

"Pathetic girl! You call yourself a fanalis?! What a coward!"

"Someone who has fallen could never have feelings for anyone but themselves!"

"You're his entertainment! His armrest, his toy!"

"Useless servent! Slaves shouldn't love their masters."

She remained silent when she wasn't being tortured and let out screams when she was. Slowly her rukh changed. The brightest glow was emitted.

"I know." She spoke as clearly as possible. She was unable to completely lift her head so she looked at the majority of us at our waist. "I am worthless and a coward and a slave! I forgot about my family and my true name because I was scared to relive it, but now I'm not. Maybe Judar will never love me but that doesn't matter. He still needs someone there to pick his daily peaches, keep him company, and have someone to hold at night. As long as I live, I will always fight to see him and everyone else happy. I will always carry my scars and I will always have chains but as long as I can still breath, I'll fight... and I refuse to compromise!" Her pure rukh was penetrating our black rukh and dispersing it.

"No! Dammit! We're being purified!" Before the girl could completely purify us, someone hit her with a bolt of lightning.

"Shut up, *cough* you brat." Thankful that the purification ended we tried regaining ourselves but most couldn't couldn't stand and we were clinging to our chest. Waves of emotion vaguely washed over me and I felt a slight bitterness of what I have done, but that feeling quickly faded.

Judar's POV

'Almost there!' We were in the Kou palace and we quickly flew through halls unconcerned with passerby's. I heard the rukh lead me directly where I needed to go and then I felt it. A wave of power and purity. It had the same warmth of Kayla's arms and the same familiarity as her scent. 'We're close!'

I broke down the dungeon door to find several organization members sprawled across the floor and leaning against various objects.

"D-damn. They're already here." I heard one of them mutter, unable to talk properly.

"What happened here?"

"Isn't it obvious, great king Sinbad?!" That sounds exactly like Gyokuen's overdramatic voice. We turned to the right to see a stone table with familiar red hair draped over the side and the Kou empress standing next to it.

'No... Kayla?' I didn't know what face to make. I was angry and sad and mad but also relieved. I could see that she still had her rukh. She wasn't dead but was close to it.

"Get away from her, you hag!" I could feel the rukh gathering around me.

"Oh Judar. You showed so much promise." She laughed while scanning me. "And so handsome too."

'This woman pisses me off!' I heard an uncomfortable shuffle behind me. I glanced to the doorway and saw the rest of the Kou siblings, out of sight of Gyokuen. They looked tired... as if they just ran across the universe to get here. Kouen had more work dumped on him just before we left for Sindria so he has probably been locked away dealing with that ever since we left. Koumei and Hakuei were in other countries, trying to get them to join the Kou Empire. And Hakuryuu just walked up to the group, just coming from the dark continent. 'They're all here... finally.'

Gyokuen began talking again. "I never imagined that all of this world's magis would show up for one girl. You all surprise me."

"We would never abandon our friends!" Aladdin yells and the other kids agree.

"What did you think would happen to you when we got here? Did you think you could do this to her and get away with it?!" My voice began getting more and more harsh as I cautiously stepped closer to my Kayla.

"To be completely honest... I don't expect you to capture me or take her from me." The empress stretched her arms out to the sky and stood closer to Kayla. "Father! Lend me your power!" Suddenly an endless supply of black rukh from the organization members flooded into my limp fanalis.

"Stop! What are you doing to her?!" Shouted Titus, horrified. I noticed tears buildup in his and Aladdin's eyes.

To all of our surprise, Kayla slowly stood up. "She's okay, alright!" Sharrkan exclaim as he carelessly started walking up to her.

Her head still hung and her legs were shaky. And then I noticed it: one of the straps on her gold dance top was torn; her chest was half exposed. She didn't seem to notice or care that she was flashing everyone she was standing in front of. That's not normal for her. She soon began chuckling uncontrollably.

"What Sharrkan! I don't think that's Kayla!" Sinbad yelled after his arrogant household member.

"What are you sayin?" When the ex-Heliohapt prince turned to his abducted friend, she tried to punch him. "What the hell has gotten into you?!" He exclaimed as he dodged her advances and backed up into the group.

The empress laughed. "There is now a vast amount of black rukh inside of her. I can make her do whatever I want and you couldn't dare stop me." Gyokuen ran a hand down Kayla's face and rested it on her shoulder. "Go get them for me, dear." Gyokuen handed Kayla her household vessel.

"Kayla..." I tried reaching her before anything happened but... I was too late.

"Yes, my mistress. As you wish."