07. Shell shock.

Faint chirps are heard within the enclosure the wizard's attention focuses on. Esther moves forward, intrigued by the sound. She peeks into a large basket woven with bamboo to find baby Occamies. She's certain she's met one of them at the bank.

"I'm coming.. I'm coming, mum's here. Mum's here." Newt assures the newborns, rushing to them.

One fits perfectly within his large palms.

"Ah, hello you. Let's take a look at you." He tests examining the creature.

Esther comes closer to scan the reptile as if it was one of her patients. She specializes in newborn creatures. Her chest contracts as if it will burst. She steals a glance at the wizard, humbled by his profound confidence among his creatures.

"Is this one from the bank?" She asks.

"Yes. This is your occamy, " he answers.

Her eyes gleam as she stares at it. Its scales shimmer like blue fire labradorite.

"Really?" Her voice raises its pitch with excitement.

"Would you want to...?" He offers slowly lowering his hand for her to take.

She opens her palms, welcoming the snake. While admiring the creature, Jacob moves in to look at it. Eager to greet another creature, he reaches his hand to pet it, like the creatures before it. The baby stretches out its neck to nip at approaching hand. Fortunately, he retracts his hand before being bitten. The no-maj couldn't afford any more bites for the day.

"Don't do that. They're naturally defensive. They'll take your finger off." Esther instructs before Newt could get in edgewise.

"Their shells are made of silver so they're incredibly valuable," Newt adds. He proceeds to feed the rest and comments, "Their nests tend to get ransacked by hunters."

He retrieves the occamy and places it back into its nest to eat with its siblings. Delight fills his chest by their interest with his creatures. He loves educating others on their importance with humanity.

"This has... Truly, really been a pleasure. I've dreamed... To have something like this." She confesses to him. He smiles at her earnest words.

"Mr.Scamander. " Jacob says- "Call me Newt." The wizard interrupts. "Newt... I don't think I'm dreaming." The no-maj finishes.

"What gave it away? " the wizard chuckles at his colleague's statement.

"I ain't got the brains to make this up." He admits, surveying the case full of wonder.

Newt looks at his new friend, another kindred spirit, flattered.

He turns to the witch and asks, "Would you mind throwing some of those pellets to the mooncalves, Esther? Right over there? Jacob and I have more creatures to see."

Without hesitation, she lugs a nearby bucket towards their enclosure. Newt picks up a wheel barrel and ventures off elsewhere with Jacob following behind. He passes the Niffler enclosure. A scowl overcomes his face, miffed by one of them escaping.

The witch walks the path to the mooncalves. Curiosity overwhelms her. Her eyes dart in every direction leading to her destination. Golden leaves fall from a tiny tree. They away in a unison mass, resembling a school of fish. They swarm towards some dark fairy-like creatures and a goblin-octopus hybrid. She passes by a lion laying on a rock, upon noticing her, it stretches and roars at the moonlight. It's 'mane' puffs out like a startled pufferfish. 'What a gorgeous Nondu that is.' Her mind races, admiring each creature she sees.