19. Letting Go.

"Madam Picquery... Who did this?" The witch asks her superior.

The president raised her eyebrow puzzled by the witch's question. "You did." The woman replies.

Her words strike Esther like a punch to her gut. She heaves in anguish as tears trickle down her face digesting the terrible news.

"What? I didn't- I didn't mean to. I just wanted- just wanted to..." she trails off with staggered breath.

Worry overwhelms Newt hearing her desperate pleas. He advances to Tina, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder as he continues his way to Esther. He crouches next to her and caresses between her shoulders. She shrugs him off.

"Don't touch me!" She hisses.

His hand slowly falls to his side. The weight of his heart sinks down into his rib cage.

"I don't want to hurt you... I'm a monster." the cadence in the witch's voice trembles.

Newt shifts himself in front of her. He removes her hands and replaces them with his. The warmth of his palms stings her jawline.

"Don't you dare say such a thing. I have yet to meet one." His eyes linger on her flustered cheeks. "Is it so wrong to want to help you?" He asks wiping away the tears on her cheek.

Frustration grows inside her. "I don't need help! I just want the pain to end."

Newts face hardens of concern. He knows magical beasts so well that he fears his fellow wizards are far too complex to comprehend. Except he wants to help her. If there is a god in this vast universe, he'd make a deal with it to trade places with her. To carry the burdens that she hides from him. What can he do to tame the beast inside her?

Percival stands up, creeping towards the crouching wizards, fuming with anger.

"You fools! Do you know what you've all done?! We'll have to go after him!"

Bystanders fixate on Graves interested by his uncouth reaction.

"It was under my orders to kill him, Mr.Graves. Until Officer Burns felt the need to ensure more chaos among the city." Madam President interjects.

Graves glares menacingly at the President of the Congress and strides towards her.

"We needed him! He was our only hope!"

The president raises a brow. "Hope for what? He was the cause of a No-Maj death. He broke one of our most sacred rules to expose our community."

He breaks into chilling laughter.

"A law that has us scattering like rats into a gutter! A law that demeans our existence! A law that directs those under its dominion to cower in fear we risk discovery! I ask you, Madam President," His eyes shift to the audience, "I ask all of you. Who does this law protect? Us" He gestures above to the terrified no-majs "Or them?" He cracks a twisted smile. "I refuse to bow any longer." He concludes.

He turns to leave the scene.

"Relieve Mr.Graves of his wand and escort him back to MACUSA." The president orders.

Graves walks down the platform until a magical force stops him. He sneers turning back to the three wizards and Madam President. He strides in their direction and blasts spells at the trio. Tina and Newt attempt to deflect them and proceed to fight back, but Graves parries them with ease.

Newt gestures into his pocket and flings a creature at Graves. The creature spreads its wings to shield them of upcoming spells to stall Newt's next action.