Chapter 22- The Bridge

Sean and Mark are at a playground near the Savior Bridge.

Mark: Nice view, huh?... I used to come here a lot before...

Sean asks Mark about his past.

Sean: Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant? 

Mark: Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?

Sean: I saw a photo of a child...on your kitchen table. It was your son, right? 

Mark: Yeah... His name was Tim.

Sean: We're not making any progress on this investigation... The deviants have nothing in common. They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places... 

Mark: Well, there must be some link.

Sean thinks that the link could be the director. 

Sean: What they have in common is this obsession with the director... It's almost like some kind of...myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original program... 

Mark: Androids believing in God... Fuck, what's this world coming to?

Sean: You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant... Is it something to do with what happened back at the Eden Club?

Mark: Those two girls... They just wanted to be together... They really seemed in love...

Sean is rational to Mark.

Sean: They can simulate human emotions, but they're machines. And machines don't feel anything.

Mark: What about you, Sean?.. You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?

Sean is neutral to Mark.

Sean: I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant. Your partner... Your buddy to drink with... Or just a machine... Designed to accomplish a task.

Mark: You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't. Why didn't you shoot, Sean? Hm? Some scruples suddenly enter into your program?

Sean tells Mark the truth. 

Sean: No... I just decided not to shoot, that's all...

Mark: But are you afraid to die, Sean?

Sean is afraid to die. 

Sean: I would certainly find it regrettable to be...interrupted...before I can finish this investigation.

Mark: What will happen if I pull this trigger? Hm? Nothing? Oblivion? Android heaven?

Sean: Nothing...There would be nothing...

Mark leaves Sean alone. 

Sean: Where are you going? 

Mark: To get drunker. I need to think.