Chapter 27- Meet Philips

Sean and Mark arrive to Trevor Philips' place 

Sean: Is everything ok, Lieutenant? 

Mark: Chris was on patrol last night. He was attacked by a bunch of deviants... He said he was saved by Connor himself... 

Sean: Is Chris ok? 

Mark: Yeah, he's in shock but...he's alive... What the hell...

Sean: Philips left CyberLife ten years ago... Why did you wanna meet him? 

Mark: This guy created the first android to pass the Turing test. And he's the founder of CyberLife. Anybody can tell us about deviants, it's him...Hi... Uh... I'm, er, Lieutenant Mark Fischbach, Newark Police Department. I'm here to see Mr. Trevor Philips. 

Amanda: Please, come in. 

Mark: Okay. 

Amanda: I'll let Trevor know you're here. But please, make yourself comfortable.

Mark and Sean are inside of Trevor's house.

Mark: Nice girl...

Sean: You're right...she's really pretty...

Mark: Nice place... Guess androids haven't been a bad thing for everybody... So, you're about to meet your maker, Sean. How does it feel?

Sean: Philips is one of the great geniuses of the 21st century. It'll be interesting to meet him in person.

Mark: Sometimes I wish I could meet my creator face to face...I'd have a couple of things I'd wanna tell him...

Sean looks at a picture that has Clementine and Trevor in it. 

Sean: Clementine...

Amanda comes back to lead Mark and Sean to Trevor. 

Amanda: Trevor will see you now. 

Mark: Mister Philips? 

Philips: Just a moment, please. 

Mark: I'm Lieutenant Fischbach. This is Sean. 

Philips: What can I do for you, Lieutenant? 

Mark: Sir, we're investigating deviants. I know you left CyberLife years ago but, I was hoping you'd be able to tell us something we don't know... 

Philips: Deviants... Fascinating, aren't they? Perfect beings with infinite intelligence, and now they have free will... Machines are so superior to us, confrontation was inevitable... Humanity's greatest achievement threatens to be its downfall. Isn't it ironic?

Sean: Something in the deviants' program seems to emulate emotion. We thought you might know something about how that occurs.

Philips: All ideas are viruses that spread like epidemics... Is the desire to be free a contagious disease? 

Mark: Listen, I didn't come here to talk philosophy. The machines you created may be planning a revolution. Either you can tell us something that'll be helpful, or we will be on our way. 

Philips: What about you, Sean? Whose side are you on?

Sean: It's not about me, Mr. Philips. All I want is to solve this case.

Philips: Well, that's what you're programmed to say... but you...what do you really want?

Sean: What I want is not important.

Philips: Amanda? I'm sure you're familiar with the Turing test. Mere formality, simple question of algorithms and computing capacity. What interests me is whether machines are capable of empathy. I call it "the Philips test", it's very simple, you'll see... Magnificent, isn't it? One of the first intelligent models developed by CyberLife. Young and beautiful forever. A flower that will never wither... But what is it really? Piece of plastic imitating a human? Or a living being... With a soul... It's up to you to answer that fascinating question, Sean. Destroy this machine and I'll tell you all I know. Or spare it, if you feel it's alive, but you'll leave here without having learnt anything from me. 

Mark: Okay, I think we're done here. Come on, Sean. Let's go. Sorry to get you outta your pool.

Philips: What's more important to you, Sean? Your investigation, or the life of this android? Decide who you are. An obedient machine... Or a living being endowed with free will... 

Mark: That's enough! Sean, we're leaving. 

Philips: Pull the trigger - 

Mark: Sean, don't... 

Philips: -and I'll tell you what you wanna know.

Sean doesn't shoot Amanda

Philips: Fascinating... CyberLife's last chance to save humanity... Is itself a deviant... 

Sean: I'm...I'm not a deviant... 

Philips: You preferred to spare a machine rather than accomplish your mission. You saw a living being in this android. You showed empathy. A war is coming...you'll have to choose your side... Will you betray your own people or stand up against your creators? What could be worse than having to choose between two evils? 

Mark: Let's get outta here...

Philips: By the way... I always leave an emergency exit in my programs... You never know...

Sean and Mark leave Trevor's house. 

Mark: Why didn't you shoot? 

Sean: I just saw that girl's eyes...and I couldn't, that's all... 

Mark: You're always saying you would do anything to accomplish your mission. That was our chance to learn something, and you let it go... 

Sean: Yeah, I know what I should've done! I told you I couldn't. I'm sorry, okay? 

Mark: Maybe you did the right thing.