Chapter 34- Connor's Demonstration

President Warren is talking to the journalists. President Warren: At 6AM this morning, a national curfew was declared. Civilian movement will be strictly controlled, the right to assembly is suspended, all electronic communications are restricted, and I have granted enhanced powers to our security agencies. In addition to these measures, all androids must be handed over to the authorities immediately. Temporary camps are being set up in all our major cities to contain and destroy them. I am now asking all civilians to co-operate with the authorities, and rest assured that everything in our power is being done to guarantee the security of our nation.

Journalists: Please! Madam President!

Journalist: Has the leader of the deviants been apprehended?

President Warren: The deviant that is known as Connor has not been located yet, but we will soon track it down and neutralize it.

Journalist: What can you tell us about the assault that happened last night?

President Warren: The FBI raided an abandoned field in Newark at 10:45PM yesterday. Several thousand androids were destroyed or captured. Our forces are now combing the streets to ensure that none got through the net. We are going to find them one by one and destroy them.

Journalist: Some say these camps awaken painful memories from human history. How do you respond to that?

President Warren: That's absurd. There's absolutely no connection. Androids are not living beings. All we are doing is destroying defective machines.

Journalist: Madam President, public opinion seems to have become increasingly favorable to the deviants, particularly since they've adopted a peaceful approach. How do you feel about this?

President Warren: Public opinion is one thing, the security of the state is another. These deviants are dangerous and my highest priority is to protect the American people. Thank you. That will be all.

Journalists: One last question, Madam President!

With Connor. Connor is marching down 21st street.

Channel 16 - Joss Douglas: We're coming to you live from Newark where thousands of androids are marching through the city at this very moment. The leader of the deviants, the one they call Connor, is at the head of the march.

Soldier: Something's happening in Newark, Madam President...

Connor: Here we are... The moment of truth.

Soldier: Surrender immediately or we will open fire! Stand by!

Connor: We don't want confrontation! We are protesting peacefully.

Soldier: I repeat: surrender now or we will open fire!

Connor: There's no turning back now. We ask that you release all androids detained in camps and cease all aggression against us. We are peaceful. We will not resort to violence. But we are not leaving until our people are free.

Soldier: FIRE! FIRE!

Connor: Are you gonna open fire on unarmed protesters?!

Soldier: All teams hold your fire!

Channel 16 - Joss Douglas: ...Yes, Michael, we are less than a hundred meters away, and events are unfolding as we speak. We will continue to bring you live updates. Joss Douglas, Channel 16. Michael? Back to you.

Maddie McWilliams: Connor, what do we do now?

Connor: We hold out. As long as we can...

Connor and the androids build a barricade.