Chapter 10

It was a sunny day in Death City. Most of the students and the teachers were minding their business before the next class. In the Class Crescent Moon, only several people were inside. Those several people were Maka, Black Star, Stein, Eve, and a small cat named Blair, who was on Maka's shoulder. Eve was sitting at the bottom of the conjoined desk, reading peacefully at a book. Meanwhile, Black Star, Maka, and Stein were staring at a small odd-looking jar. Both Black Star and Maka, along with Blair, were rather confused with the jar and why Stein was showing it to them. "A jar?" asked Black Star.

"That's right." Stein said simply, "A jar." 

"Is it a special jar?"

     "Nope, nothing special. It's just an ordinary jar." Stein responds to the blue-haired boy. "Now the water that's inside the jar is another story altogether." Black Star looks closely inside the jar to find water inside of it. 

     "It's called soul-sapping water because it sucks out your wavelength. Compared to that, the jar's very ordinary indeed." Informs Stein. "Go on, try sticking your hand in the water."

     "Alright," said Black Star, "but I'm still iffy about this jar." Black Star did as his professor instructed and sticks his hand in the water. As Black Star did, most of his wavelength was sucked out of him as Stein said it would. It looked like it was sucking out the last of Black Star's breath and made him turn to skin and bones. Black Star immediately takes his hand out of the jar, recovering from that state. "What was that?!" Black Star asked, shaking apprehensively. "I knew that jar was dangerous." Maka puts her hands over her mouth, surprised to see what happened to her friend before her. Eve took notice of Black Star jumping away from the jar. She closed her book and walked down the conjoined desks to see what was going on.

"No, it's just the water," said Stein. "You might want to start off by sticking in only one finger at a time."

     Now understand the purpose of the water in the jar, Black Star smirks, "All I have to do is get to where I can withstand putting my whole hand in there, and then I can use Tsubaki's enchanted sword mode, Professor?"

"That's the basic idea." He answered.

     Eve looks at Black Star and smiles. "This will probably be a lot easier for you to use Tsubaki as an enchanted sword." She commented. Black Star picks up the jar with a smile, "That'll be a nice break. All I've been doing lately is muscle conditioning, and it's getting old."

     "Hhuuhhh?!" exclaims Maka, still stunned with the star boy. Black Star looks at the meister, curious with her behavior, "What's with you?"

     "It isn't fair!" Maka complains, "How can you get stronger just by playing with a jar filled with water?"

     "Hah! Isn't it obvious? I'm Black Star." He boasted, "I'm on a whole different level than you. I'm a big man. I've beaten Death! Who else can say that?" After his bragging, Black Star flexes his muscles. 

"No fair! Professor Stein, can I have one of those special jars too?" Maka asked the Professor. 

     "I can't do that," Stein said to the young meister. "The water in the jar is only intended to help Black Star be able to use Tsubaki's Enchanted Sword mode."

     "I'm not gonna let myself get beaten by the jar. I don't care how special it is!" Black Star says confidently. He sticks his whole right hand in the water. Eve looked at Black Star poorly, "Forgive me if I'm bothering you Black Star, but I want to remind you that Professor Stein instructed you to put in one finger at a time." Black Star ignores the raven-haired girl.

     "I'd be surprised if Black Star even realized what he was doing by saying things like that."  commented Stein, "By talking constantly about what a star he is and how "big" he is, Black Star is actually driving himself without even meaning to."