Chapter 13

It was around three o'clock. All of the students were sitting in their seats as they listened to Stein's final lecture for the last period of class. As the lecture was over, Stein, while sitting on his rolling chair backward, as usual, rolled in front of the chalkboard. "All right people," announced the professor, "as I'm sure you know, there isn't much time remaining. In three short days, you'll all be taking the general test for meisters and weapons, The Super Written Exam. I assume you have all been studying for it."  The Super Written Exam is a test given for DWMA staff and the students themselves to know where they stand in terms of knowledge. The test is solely based on the subject, Soul Studies (also known as phasmology).

Maka, with an expression of passion, made a small smile, "Of course! I've been cramming for this for a month now." she thought eagerly.

           Stein continued his announcement, "Just to warn you, I wrote the test questions this year. If you studied the materials, you should be fine. If not, you may have a problem. In either case, good luck. 'Kay! Class is dismissed!" Stein concluded as he attempted to wheel out of the classroom successfully but as usual, fell back on his chair in the middle of the doorway. Soul gave a dour frown, as he did not approve of the idea of trying to take the exam, "Ugh...yuck! There's gotta be some short-cut way to memorize everything." he complained to his partner Maka, who is sitting beside him.

"You don't learn by taking short-cuts, Soul," lectured Maka as she stood, "and I'm not gonna let you get away with cheating either." 

          Before walking from her seat, Maka noticed and overheard a conversation between two young men below her. One of them was named Ox Ford, a young man in his early teens. He was mostly bald but had two bunches of sharp-pointed hair behind his ears. He also wears a white dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, a black-tie over a black sweater vest, a belt with black trousers, and black shoes. Sitting beside him was his partner and weapon named Harvar D. Eclair, who wears a blue shirt with a white collared jacket as a top, coupled with white pants and black shoes. 

"Think you'll get top score again this year, Ox?" Harvar asked his partner. 

" Well, we'll see," Ox responded.

"Yeah," thought Maka as she stared sternly at Ox, "Last year, I would've had the highest score if it wasn't for Ox."

        Ox continued his conversation with Harvard, "There are a couple of hard workers in this class who could beat out my score." Ox turned to Maka above his with a sly grin, "Like her. Last year, Maka came in second...right behind me." he sneered. Both he and Maka gave each other a competitive glare. Ox, aside from Maka, is one of the few most intelligent students in the classroom. So there was a high chance that he could win the top score of the exam. It would appear Maka had some competition.

        "Yo Black Star, " called Soul, getting his best friend's attention above him, "do you know why they call this test the Super Written Exam? It's because supposedly whoever comes in first is destined to make a Death Scythe."

"What, seriously!?" marveled Black Star.

Hearing this, Maka became determined, "That's right. It's my destiny. Mama was at the top of her year too. I have to come first. It's in my blood."

Black Star turned to Tsubaki, "It's settled! I'm gonna get first and turn you into a Death Scythe, Tsubaki."

"Okay!" replied Tsubaki with a cheery smile.

      Black Star turned to Darcelle, who was right beside him, "Hey Darcy, do you wanna come over to my place to study with me?"

        Darcelle thought for a little while and then smiled at her boyfriend, "Yeah, sure. Only for a little while though. I have a curfew." Piper turned to her best friend with a smile, "Oh, does that mean you're gonna study then, Darcy?"