The New Life

The plane took off, and I was still crying. It took forever, and George never left my mind. I thought about the promise we made back in 1949, I wondered if George would forget about it when I'm gone. That thought alone scared me.

We finally arrived to the new house, which I do have to admit, was bigger and better than our old one. There was a lot more space, but nothing could make me happy at this point. Nothing would bring George back.

The next day, I had to go to the new school, which made me nervous. School was always a pain for me. I was always bullied everyday in my old school, but George always came to the rescue. George was my only friend, and now that he's gone, I have no protection.

Just like I predicted, I got bullied. Many kids thought I was ugly and fat, and pushed me around all day. I spent part of a class period crying in the bathroom, wishing to be back in Liverpool with George while holding onto my necklace.

"Why can't I just go back to Liverpool? Why do people hate me? I just want to go back and see George again!!" I whined, someone hearing me.

"Will you shut up, I'm trying to concentrate!" A girl in the stall next to me yelled. I left the bathroom, trying to cheer up, when I knocked into another girl.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I've seen how the other kids treat you and I just feel so bad. You must be having the worst day ever." She apologized. I smiled. "It was like this in my old school too, I only had one friend, and now he's gone, so I have no one." I admitted. "I'll be your only friend here, then." She winked.

I walked to my last class cheerful, glad to have at least one friend. She'll never be George, but at least I have someone.

A week in, I received a letter from George.

"My dear Y/N,
Words cannot describe how much I miss you. You're my everything, and without you, I feel incomplete. We will be happy together one day, we will reunite. I'll never forget the promise we made all those years ago. We shall live up to its name, it is a promise that can't be broken.

Anyway, if you receive this letter, I love you. But how is your life over there? Have you met any new friends? Is your house any better than the first?

I hope that we can continue to communicate in this way until we meet again.

Love,
George

I nearly cried tears of joy at George's letter. He hasn't forgotten about me, he's kept the promise, he still loves me.

I can't wait until the day we reunite.