Chapter 1

Jennie's Pov

My eyes skimmed the room's ornately decorated walls as I gulped my shot of vodka. Overhead, a painting of some royal, or some other important character, glared down at me, denouncing me as a fraud. Being a recent graduate of London University didn't mean I belonged at the exclusive London club. Most of the other graduates were from old money and while my family was wealthy by most anyone's standards, we didn't have a family name or a title most of my classmates at the degree day celebration. I finished taking another shot while cursing at my bestfriend Rośe aka Park Chaeyoung for convincing me this was a good idea.

"Jennie, there you are!". Rośe swooped at me like a hawk and her perfect fingernails dug into my arm, preventing my escape as she dragged me across the room towards a group of young women and men. Other than the aggressive move, she was the picture of beauty, her red hair laying gracefully along the nape of her neck and the clasp of her necklace resting below her hair in perfect symmetry. Everything about Rośe was perfect. From her three inch heels to the three carat diamond sparkling on her left hand.

"I want you to finally meet my brother Joo-won".

"I'm not looking to date anyone right now, Rośe. I'm a career women now, remember?". I reminded her.

Even if my new job at a recording studio manager hasn't started yet, I didn't need a woman or man to distract me. Rośe knew that, but it wouldn't stop her from insisting that I meet him. Even with her education and she'd been taught to believe a girl's best prospect lay in marriage. I was familiar with this concept, my mother have been pushing similar delusions.

Rośe shot me a wink over her shoulder.

"But you could have some fun. Joowon works all the time anyways and he's worth a fortune. You could be a Park".

"Not everyone bases attraction on money and power". I said in a low voice, not wanting to offend the number of powerful and rich people surrounding me.

Rośe stopped in her tracks, causing me to crash into her. She leaned towards me, and she whispered in my ear. "Fine, I'll pick a girl out for you next time then, but have you ever snogged a rich and powerful person? Gone to bed with one?".

I bit my lip and glanced around us, uncertain how to answer. Rośe knew I had only been to bed with one person and it was a guy, now my ex-boyfriend, who was neither rich or powerful. Kai had the chip on his shoulder to prove it. Where as I often felt inferior around the old money at London University, he only felt anger. A shiver ran down my spine, thinking of how ugly our relationship had grown towards the end. I ended it over the winter holidays, but even months later the thought of him made me shudder, Rośe noticed and sighed.

"Kai doesn't count". She said. The perfect skin between her expertly shaped eyebrows furrowed at the thought. She shook her head as if wiping away a distasteful memory and shot me a mischievous smile.

"If you had been to bed with a person like I'm talking about, you would know".

"I'm deeply concerned that you're saying your brother is suitable for this position". I told her, cocking an eyebrow suggestively.

"How close are you too?".

"Not close like that". She swatted at my arm, but the grin stayed on her face.

"I'm just looking out for you Jen, You need a good fuck". I suspected as much, although she hadn't talked about this particular concern until now.

She had been my roommate through the worst bits with Kai. Not only had she approved of our break up, but she had been hovering over me like a mother, it was as if she was much more older than me. Since then she was taking me to shopping and introducing me to new people. It was only a matter of time before she tried to set me up on dates. I suppose I should be grateful that she waited until my final exams were over and I'd officially graduated before she pushed her matchmaking agenda.