Chapter 14

Jennie Pov

Lisa's fingers stayed knitted through mine as we maneuvered through the lobby, but I couldn't stop shaking. The cameras. The questions. The number of women staring at my Lisa. It was a lot to take in. Beside me, Lisa smiled, returning nods of welcome and calling out hellos, but her posture was stiff and her movements became automatic. After a few minutes, she pulled away from me, placing her hand on the small of my back. This small gesture usually made me feel safe and protected, but right now, it only felt mechanical. Lisa was going through the motions as she put on a show for those around us.

"Are you okay?" I whispered when we reached the ballroom.

"I'm fine, Jen." She said in a clipped tone.

"Excuse me one moment."

She left me standing there, alone, in a crowd of hundreds of people, and I wasn't sure what to do. My eyea skimmed the room for Rośe, my would-be salvation. She should have gotten here already. I scanned the room until I spotted her. Saying a silent prayer of thanks that she was so tall, I bee-lined towards her as dignity would allow. Rośe caught caught sight of me and lit up, waving me towards her, but I hesitated as I realised that she wasn't alone. But relief flooded through me when Rośe's companion turned, and I caught a glimpse of her face.

"Irene!." I exclaimed, rushing forward to give her a hug. Immediately, I remember where I was and stepped back, feeling embarrassed. "We probably shouldn't be hugging at something as formal as this."

"No! Hug me again!." Irene gave me another squeeze, grabbing my hands in the process. "I'm just the caterer."

"You look fabulous." I told her, and it wasn't a lie. Irene had always been pretty.

"Doesn't she?." Rośe agreed. "Totally unfair that she spends all day being a chef and she still looks like that."

"I keep my figure by dealing with the kitchen full of cocky jerks. It's hard work kicking their asses all day." Irene said dryly. "Speaking of, I should check on my new partner. I've left him in charge of the plating, and he's probably screwing it up." But instead of leaving, she shook her hean in exasperation and returned her attention to me.

"How are you, Jen?."

Irene had been a year ahead of us in school, earning two degrees that made her a double threat in the culinary world. I hadn't seen her since she'd graduated, although I'd planned to look for her when I got to London.

"I'm so sorry I haven't called." I said. "I've had a lot in my plate."

"That's one way to put it." Rośe said with meaning.

"Don't embarrass her." Irene shushed Rośe and then gave me a sympathetic look. "You should come by and let me put something delicious on your plate to distract you from all this crap. Although from where I'm standing, you've found yourself something tasty already."

"If I knew where Lisa was." My eyes darted around the room, wondering if Lisa had come looking for me yet, but she was nowhere in sight.

"She probably went to get you a drink." Irene said.

"Whata re we raising money for again? Endangered animals?." I asked, taking in the event's decor. Lush ferns and vines transformed the space into an exotic jungle. Movement overhead caught my attention and I looked up in time to spy a dazzlingly brilliant yellow bird swopp overhead. Someone had gone a little over-the-top for this event.

"I thought you knew." Irene said, passing me a drink from a serving tray.

"I don't." I said, taking the drink gratefully. If Lisa was getting me a drink, she was slacking.