Chapter 21

Jennie Pov

The country house was actually a sprawling forty-room estate nestled over one hundred acres of private land. I'd been to mansions before, but this place surpassed them. It belonged to an entirely different time and place. Spires stretched to the sky, and the facade had been painstakingly refurbished to approximate the sixteenth century original brick. There was a stable and tennis courts on the grounds. Inside, marble floors, priceless art and polished mahogany Bannisters perfected the imposing manner. I feel like I'd been invited to stay in a museum. It was too much to absorb at once, and that wasn't just due to the estate. I'd dreaded the idea of dealing with Lisa's mother over the weekend. The Queen hadn't bothered to hide her feelings regarding our relationship. When we arrived, I discovered it was so much worse than an awkward family gathering. Lisa's family was here, along with over a dozen of their friends. I'd met a few of them at the ball, and I hadn't been eager to see them again.

Particularly Nancy, who watch with distaste as Bambam made the introductions to a number of older family members present for tomorrow's hunt. This weekend was turning to be exactly what I'd hoped to avoid. Stupidly, I'd believed I might get a chance to speak with Lisa's mother in private. I thought maybe if she got to know me, she might reverse her opinion of my relationship with her daughter. But I couldn't see how that was going to happen with this many people around. We'd arrived so late that dinner have been served already, and by the time I got to my room, my stomach was grumbling. Grabbing a protein bar from my bag, I take a look around. I had to admit, albeit grudgingly, that my room was spectacular. Complete with a four-poster bed and a sweeping vista of the English countryside, the only thing it was missing is. Lisa, who had been placed in her own bedroom across the estate. A printed schedule of activities rested on my pillow, and I rolled my eyes as I realized someone had planned every moment of my stay here. Right now I was supposed to be in the Billiard Room for cocktails. Tomorrow I had brunch with the Queen's Mother.

"But when will I find time to kill myself?" I asked the empty room.

Play the game, I ordered myself.

Ten minutes later, I happened upon Lisa in the hall. "Jennie?" It was more than a question, it was an invitation. A smooth, seductive smile carved across her face as if she had reach my mind. I sighed with longing and shook my head. It wasn't fair that she had this effect on me.

Lisa pressed her index finger to my lips. "Save those for me."

"I'm not allowed to sigh?"

"Oh, I insist that you sigh." She whispered, leaning in to nuzzle my neck. "And whimper and moan when I'm fucking you. I demand it. I'm a selfish women and those noises belong to me."

"I'd be happy to comply." I purred, running my hand on her chest. She grew away. "Don't tempt me or we'll never make it to our scheduled appearance."

"So, I'm not the only one with a printed itinerary?"

"Unfortunately not." She crooked her arm. "To the Billiard Room?"

"Yes. I was lost." I admitted as she offered me her arm.

"I would have found you." She promised, but the accompanying smile was tight-lipped. Lisa had been on edge when we left London, and I watched as the tension settled back over her.

The Billiard Room was steeped in the stifling tradition of the past, oak-paneled walls decorated with mounted stag heads and stuffed pheasants. Mino occupied the bar, his sleeves rolled up and his attention focused on plying his companions with drinks. The women he was tending to swiveled to watch me. I recognized the redhead from the ball. Sana. But the other girl was unfamiliar. Both their faces remained impassive, regarding me with cool indifference.