Chapter 22

Jennie Pov

"Please cancel the hunt Lisa." I begged.

"I'll only be gone for only two or three hours." She said, running a hand down my bare arm reassuringly.

"That's long enough to for them to eat me alive" I pointed out. I tugged at the hem of my skirt.

"I'm told they're serving sandwiches." She said, "But I'll remind them that they have to answer to me if anyone upset you."

I nodded, not reminding her that I could take care of myself. She probably wouldn't like the consequences.

"You've got that wicked gleam in your eyes, Jennie." Lisa said softly. "What are you thinking?"

"Nothing." I stroke a hand down her chest, leaning in for a kiss. But she pulled back.

"Something tells me that you're going to be fine." She sighed and took my hand, pulling me towards the dining room.

"Try not to be charged with treason." I wasn't making any promises.

The Queen and the men going on the hunt had gathered, and as soon as they saw Lisa, the teasing began. Mino clamped a hand on his friend's shoulder and shook his head. "You're going to let that fox get away, Lisa." Mino's gaze swiveled to me and he grinned. "Although it doesn't look like you're hunting for tail." I shot him a thin-lipped smile.

Nancy entered the dining room. Her hair was up in a demure bun, and while her electric yellow dress hugged her figure, it still fell just below her knees. Her gaze slid up and down on me. She didn't bother to hide her smug dismissal of me as the Queen Mother appeared behind her in a loosely fitted,  linen pantsuit. Her appearance distracted Nancy, who began to immediately kiss ass.

I stifled a gag over the obvious and false flattery.

Did Nancy really think she could get to Lisa through her grandmother? That just proved that she didn't know her at all.

Lisa laughed me around the waist, pressing a kiss behind my ear that sent a ripple of excitement tingling through me. "I will see you soon, love."

And then she was gone. Pushing my shoulders back and my chin up, I took a seat at the table. Bambam appeared in the doorway, and his grandmother balked at him. "Aren't you joining the hunt?"

"Hunting doesn't appeal to me." He said, stepping into the dining room. "I was on my way down for coffee."

I knew I liked him.

"Join us." She said, patting the table next to her. "We'll have tea."

"I would love to, but unfortunately I need coffee. I'll see you for dinner though." He pecked her dutifully on the cheek and ducked back out before he could be entreated again.

Lisa's grandmother turn towards me, a tight smile on her face. "I'm afraid that this brunch might not suit your tastes."

"I'm not picky." I dropped my napkin, smoothing it over my lap.

"We don't eat alot of... Poor food." She said with an edge of apology, although there was an edge of something cutting under it. "I want certain what they served for brunch."

I bit back the retort that tried to tumble from my lips. "English breakfast will be fine."

She waved that off. "Too many sausages. I've ordered something much lighter. I hope you don't mind the absence of meat."

"I'm sure Jennie will have plenty of meat later." Nancy said in a sweet voice as I choked on my water I'd just taken. I cocked an eyebrow at her. Who was being immature now?