Chapter 12

Jennie Pov

"What are you doing here?" I hissed under my breath. Crossing my arms across my chest, I did my best to look unhappy to see her. Inside I was anything but. God, she looks so damn sexy. Her hair disheveled, although I noticed that Lisa had circles under her eyes like she hadn't been sleeping. Most likely she'd spent the last few days partying. Lisa was dressed casually in a crop top and sweatpants that hung off her hips like an invitation.  My thoughts flickered to memories of us in bed and I caught my breath, hoping to calm my racing nerves, so she wouldn't see her effect on me.

"You've had a long enough. I need to talk to you." She stepped forward and took my arm in a gentle but assertive hold, leading me towards the building's lift. Was she fucking serious? I'd had long enough?

"Couldn't you text me?" I asked with a sarcastic note to my voice.

"I guess you saw that too." Lisa dropped her hold on me as we entered the elevator, but as soon as the doors slid shut behind us, she pinned me against the wall.

"Lisa!"

"Why haven't you answered my texts?"

"The whole world can read that you want to go down on me on a gossip site and you're worried about tha?" I didn't bother to hide my disbelief, because I was too busy focusing on keeping my body in check, even as it rebelled against me. It was all I could do not to arch into her embrace and kiss her. I wanted to brush away the fear I saw in her eyes and tell her everything would be okay. But it was as much a lie as my pretending I didn't want her here with me.

"I don't give a damn what they can read!" Lisa exploded, pushing off the wall and clenching her hands into fists.  "Why do you care what they think, Jennie?"

"Me?" I put my hand on my chest for emphasis. "You were the one who wanted to meet me in secret at a fucking hotel!"

Lisa stared at me a moment, wheels turning in her head. "I did that to protect you. You were scared of the paparazzi."

"They were reporting we were in a relationship." I reminded her. "And I didn't know who you were at that time."

"We are in a relationship." She said. My mouth fell open. I was torn between the bubbly, bouncy feeling of joy this produced in me and total confusion. Never mind that I'd called things off between us, things had never really gotten started.

"We broke things off."

"You were overwhelmed and I gave you space, but did you think I would allow you to end things like that?." She asked. "I made it clear that I hadn't had my fill of you."

"But you didn't want to be seen with me." I argued.

"You can't pick and choose when to be in a relationship!" I knew it was more complicated than that. I only wished it were that simple. There was too much for us to work though, especially when everything between us came in her terms.

"I wanted to protect you." Lisa turned back to me, trailing a finger down my face. "I didn't want to scare you. I can do that all on my own."

I barked a short, humorless laugh as the lift doors opened. "You can at that."

"So is that what's going on?." She asked, pulling me into a deserted alcove off the lobby.

"A misunderstood?"

I wanted to be that and nothing more, but the truth, there was a lot more going on. First of all, there was Nancy. She still hadn't explained the whole situation, and then there was the proposition she'd put forth the last time we spoke. Lisa wanted to dominate me. She wanted to submit. I wasn't sure I was capable of that. I wasn't sure if it was healthy.