14 - just like an angel

Heather’s pov

The sun goes down slowly

The sun goes down slowly. The sky is painted with warm colors, red and orange strokes overpower the blue of the sky. It’s a beautiful view.

A view I wanted to shared with someone that’s not between us anymore. And that, is all my fault.

I miss her contagious smile, her loud high-pitched giggles, warm chocolate eyes and they way they would light up when she watched her favourites movies. I miss how she hated when I called her Roxanne and the way she grimaced when she tasted onions on her burgers.

I miss Rocky, my best friend.

Sipping on a drink I prepared for myself with maybe a little bit too much amount of alcohol, my eyes study the buildings ahead of me and the sun reflected on them.

Two years. It has been two years since left that hellhole with my friend beside me amd ready to chase a dream.

I never had a big dream to conquer. She had, not me. I just wanted to escape and try to be happy. I knew I would be happy anywhere. And with her beside me, everything was easier. She was the one who never stopped believing we could escape. It’s thanks to her that we got out. If it wasn’t for  her, I would still be locked in that big, old, cold and dark building.

“Heather?” Duff’s voice comes from behind me, such a beautiful voice. It still makes butterflies rise inside my stomach. I love it so much.

I don’t say anything and take another sip from my drink. A warm hand rests on my bare shoulder, the touch of his rough hand makes me close my eyes and let out a sigh.

His touch always put a smile on my lips, it makes me feel warm inside and my tense body relax.

My gaze looks for him, finding him sat on the empty plastic chair beside me.

“What’s wrong?” He asks. Since I met him, he has been asking that a lot of times, but were a few times that I answered him truthfully.

I learnt to trust Duff with my whole life and to open up to him. Something I understood when I was at a young age, is that a relationship with secrets, it’s not a healthy one. And it won’t last.

As a kid, I lived between a relationship full of lies and secrets that ended up in heartbreak and hurt. Life taught me better.

We’ve been together for four months now, but I feel like I’ve known him forever.

“Rough day.” I whisper, not trusting my voice to speak any louder.

His hand search for mine and I intertwine our fingers. Silence falls between us. Duff knows me too well. He knows that eventually I’ll talk what's burning my chest without him insisting.

“Today, it marks two years since I…” I’m not sure how to start. I never told him about the orphanage, or the mental institution I was put in when I was fourteen because I tried to run away.