25 - you're the only thing worth in my life

Duff's pov

The rain falls heavily outside as I watch it from the kitchen's window

The rain falls heavily outside as I watch it from the kitchen's window. The sound of the heavy rains drops can be heard loud and clear as they fall from the dark clouds above the city.

It's almost 8pm and it's dark outside, the city lights can barely be seen through the thick rain.

I'm worried about Heather, she usually arrives home from the studio around six.

I take a sip from my beer, my eyes fixed on the window.

My mind is blank as I watch the rain. Nothing much passes through my head. Just the fact today feels weird.

Something is off, I can feel it.

The day already started off not right. I usually wake up along with Heather around eight and we do our routine. It never fails. We do it every morning. Take a shower and prepare breakfast together while the radio plays in the background.

But today, it didn't happen. When I woke up at eight, Heather wasn't in bed but a sticky note on the alarm.

Another two spins and the bottle is empty. I place it on the counter beside me but I don't bother to grab another. I just stay where I am, standing in front of the glassed door that gives access to the balcony.

That's when I hear the front door open and close right after. I run to the living room and when I step out of the kitchen, I find Heather taking off her jacket, wet from the rain, and hang it on the coat rack by the door.

"You're finally home." I say, a sigh of relief escaping my lips and a hundred bricks jumping off my shoulders.

"Sorry, we were working on a song and it was almost finished so I didn't want to leave until it wasn't done." Heather explains. Something about the look in her eyes tells me something is not right.

"I was worried." I tell her, my voice soft and my tone calm.

"I said I'm sorry!" She lets out a yell, making me froze, looking at her. Her lips are parted as she realizes what she just did. Heather never yells. "Fuck, I'm sorry."

I just shake my head, saying it's ok. "I brought us dinner." Her voice is low now, lifting a McDonald's in her hand as she walk to me.

Stopping in front of me, she hands me the paper bag and I kiss her, but she doesn't kiss me back, making me frown.

Not saying anything else, I follow her to the kitchen and place the bag on the round table. We both sit down and start eating in silence.

No-one says a word until I decide to kill off the silence, that's making me quite uncomfortable. Being in silence with Heather has always been something comfortable. Never one of us ever had the need to kill it off to stop the awkwardness. But this time, I feel that need, and it's suffocating me.