CHAPTER 13

JAX POV

I put Scarlett as gently as I could on the couch at the King's clubhouse, putting a blanket over her. Val was blowing up my phone.

"I got her Val, chill out."

"Chill out? You're seriously telling me to FUCKING CHILL OUT? What you should be doing is breaking Domenico fucking King's face. Put him on the phone."

"Listen you need to think about that for a second."

"Put him on the fucking phone before I come down there, understand?"

"We're already on bad terms with enough clubs in the area, you really want to put the King's at the top of that shit list?" he was silent.

"That's what I thought. Look Scarlett is fine, a little banged up but I'm sure it's nothing she hasn't seen before. I'm going to get her cleaned up and then we're coming back."

"No."

"What?"

"You can't come back here, dipshit. Not yet, anyway. There's someone here that Scar will not want to see. She's been through enough shit in the last 24 hours, this is the last thing she needs right now. Just give me a couple days." I was fucking dumbfounded. 

"Who-"

"Not important.  What's important is that you keep her as far away as possible until I tell you to come back."

"And what the fuck am I supposed to do with her?"

"Get a hotel or something. Tell her we're working a job and it's not safe for her to come back yet. She'll understand. I'll get the guys to pick up your bike. Just make sure she doesn't leave." I slammed my fist on the bar.

"A hotel, really? Weren't you the one that told me to stay away from her, like not even 24 hours ago? Now you decide it's a good idea to get a hotel and play fucking babysitter?"

"If you lay even a single fucking finger on her, I will find out. Remember that. Not only will it cost you your rank, but it will cost you your goddamn club." I sighed. I knew that when it came down to it, there was nothing I would put before my club. Not even myself, and sure as hell not her.

"Whatever man, just let me know what's going on.  You better pray for me asshole." He laughed before hanging up.

I was truly and completely fucked. I sighed, looking over at the source of all my problems lately. She was sleeping peacefully despite the blood and dirt that was covering her body. Domenic was in church with his guys, so I figured I would wait for him to finish and let him know we were leaving. I grabbed a wash cloth from the kitchen, soaking it in hot water to try to clean her up. I pushed her hair away from where it had fallen in her face. Her face was even more swollen and bruised without all the blood covering it. I could feel my pulse race with anger. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to stay calm and not break everything in this goddamn clubhouse. I felt her move to grab my hand that was holding her face. When I looked at her I felt my pulse slow down. It was the first time I had seen her scared, her blue eyes filled with fear.

"Jax?" her voice was hoarse. She winced as she felt her throat. The bruises there had darkened. I moved her hand away, holding it in my own.

"Hey, don't worry. You're ok now, we got you out." her eyes were watery as she nodded. I could tell she was trying hard to stay awake.

"It's ok Scarlett, you can sleep. I'm here, you're safe." She nodded and I moved away, but she grabbed my wrist. When I looked at her, her eyes looked sad.

"Tell Dom not to tell Ace, please. He can't come back for me." I just nodded, wondering who the fuck Ace was.

Domenico came out of church a couple minutes later, making his way over to where Scarlett was sleeping on the couch. He winced as he looked at her, raking a hand through his hair and letting out a deep sigh.

"You always know how to get yourself in trouble, Scar."

"Don't try to put this on her. You're the one who got her into this." I spat. He just chuckled darkly as he looked at me.

"You clearly don't know Scarlett." He shook his head and turned to walk away.

"She wanted me to make sure you don't tell Ace what happened." He paused. He clenched his jaw, nodding and walking away without another word. No apology. No remorse. Nothing. I waited for Neo to pick up my bike with the other guys. He practically had to wrench the keys from my hand. Like any other member, my Harley was like my child. I sighed as I watched him gun it down the street looking back at me and laughing as I gave him the finger. When I went back inside, Scarlett was still sleeping. I grabbed her stuff that was by the door, throwing it in the back of her Jeep. I made my way over to her, wrapping the blanket tighter around her and lifting her in to my arms. She was fucking tiny.

Dom came out of his office as I was getting to the door. I looked at him, wanting to fucking blast him for the shit he caused, but decided against it.

"I'm taking the fucking blanket." He just rolled his eyes and nodded. Before I closed the door he called me.

"Take care of her, alright?"

"All of a sudden you give a shit what happens to her?" I couldn't help the venom that seeped into my voice.

"Yeah, I do. Don't tell her that, though." He looked down at her. "She needs to get away from all this shit, you know that right? After all the shit she's been through, she deserves to get out more than anyone." I nodded.

"Don't be the one to hold her back." His held my gaze for a minute and I could see the warning in them. The moment was gone as quick as it came, and he nodded towards the door before going back into his office.

I left more confused than I was before. It seemed like everyone was warning me to stay away, confirming the idea that I was the worst thing possible for her. I wondered why everyone tried to protect her, when based on what I had seen she was capable of taking care of herself.  I knew this girl was a mystery before, but now I wanted nothing more than to figure her out.