CHAPTER 25

By the time I finished the back piece I was working on, the sun had already gone down. I made my way through the house, nodding at some of the guys I had become friends with. I was surprised at how nice these guys were considering their president was a complete dick. I was pulled out of my thoughts when I saw Dom, who was making his way over to me. He grabbed my arm, pulling me into his office.

"What's up?" Dom sat in his chair, looking ready to deliver some bad news.

"Look Scar, I got you all the information I could. There isn't much more I can do for you. I have new prospects coming in and-"

"Are you kicking me out?" I looked at him incredulously. He sighed.

"Yes. But only because I know you won't go on your own, and I don't want to be the reason that you keep avoiding whatever shit is going on with you and Val. I won't let you lose your brother the way I lost mine, all because you're too stubborn to own up to what you did. Trust me when I tell you I feel that shit every day." I looked at Dom, seeing a new side of him. I knew that him and Ace had some rough history, but Ace always thought that Dom hated him for not patching in. Looking at Dom's face made me realize how much he missed his brother, and made me realize how much I missed mine.

"Maybe you're right."

"Of course I am."

"There's the Dom I know and love." I saw him smile before he tried to cover it up.

"Now get out of my office." I smiled at him, nodding and getting up.

"Scar?" I turned back to look at him.

"Take care of yourself. I'm always here if you need me." I knew there was a hidden meaning in his words, and I gave him a grateful smile.

"This still doesn't mean we're friends!" I called as I walked down the hall and I heard him chuckle.

When I got back to my room I was grateful to see Jax wasn't there. I packed up all my shit up, noticing the bathroom was practically sparkling clean and smiled to myself. I made my way down to the bar and was greeted with a familiar sight. Buddy at the pool table, most of the other guys drunk and getting handsy with the club girls, Jax at the bar with a blonde on his lap. I felt the familiar sting of jealously, but decided to just ignore it. I knew how the men worked in this world and I refused to have any part of it. So I just walked past him, not sparing him a goddamn glance. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing how much it bothered me to see his hands on her. I walked over to Buddy, who saw my bag slung over my shoulder and let out a sad sigh.

"I guess you're heading home then." I nodded sadly.

"I'll come visit, I promise. You call me whenever you need a touch up and I'll be down here in no time." He pulled me into a big hug, practically crushing me.

"Thanks for keeping me sane, Buddy." He chuckled and gave me a salute as I made my rounds, saying goodbye to my new friends. After that I walked back to Jax, smacking him upside the head.

"You coming, princess?" I heard Buddy laugh loudly, earning a scowl from Jax. I just smiled to myself. We were at the door when I realized I forgot something. I ran back to Dom's office, practically throwing myself at him. He hugged me back with a chuckle, his hand tangling in my hair.

"Thank you for everything, Dom. If you see Ace, can you just...just tell him I'm sorry ok? Tell him he was right, about everything." I didn't give him the chance to respond before I patted his back and walked out the door.

Then we were on the road, and the nerves hit me full force. My hands gripped the steering wheel as I tried to prepare myself for whatever was waiting for me at the clubhouse. For some reason, knowing Jax would be by my side made it a little easier.

I parked the Jeep in its usual spot, getting out and lighting a cigarette. Jax followed closely behind me, parking his bike. He looked at me warily.

"I'm fine Jax."

"I know you are darlin'."

I finished my cigarette, tossing it out and walking towards the doors before I could pussy out. My strides to the door were confident, but I faltered, remembering what I saw last time I walked in there. I felt Jax come up behind me and give my hand a squeeze. He went inside, calling out for Val. I honestly didn't know what to expect. I creaked the door open, hidden behind Jax. Val looked like a goddamn mess. He was a man who was very serious about his beard, and I hadn't seen it untrimmed and unkept in almost a year. His hair was messy and his eyes were bloodshot, he was cradling a bottle of whiskey.

"I told you not to fucking come back without her, Jax. I fucking told you." His voice sounded like he lost whatever hope he had left, and I couldn't stand the sound of it. I moved into the light, meeting his eye and watching the relief flood his features. I didn't realize what I was doing until I was running to him, throwing myself into his open arms.

"I'm sorry, Scar. I'm so fucking sorry." I didn't say anything, I just held him tighter. I felt a sense of calm wash over me. Despite all the shit going on that I knew I would have to deal with, I was home.