Nine

Hoseok Focus

“Alright, this is the culinary hall.” The pair, Hoseok and Jin were currently in the science wing, where the culinary classes were also held.

“Thanks!”

“You wanna go walk around for a bit, you have awhile before your class starts, and I still have a half an hour left.”

“That sounds great! Maybe the others are here, too.”

“Alright!” Hoseok smiled and led Jin out of the building and towards the courtyard. They just started to wander around, Hoseok occasionally pointing out a few things or places.

“Hey, Hobi...it’s alright if I call you that, right?”

“Yeah!”

“Okay. Hobi, can I ask you a question?”

“Sure!” The male chirped.

“Why do you smile all of the time?” Hoseok paused, his smile flickering for a second, before finding its rightful place, just as fast.

“Because I’m happy, Hyung, why else would I smile?”

He was lying, Jin could tell.

“That’s all? You always seem happy, surely there are times where you aren’t happy?”

“Well, I try to always be happy, be thankful for what I’m given.” Hoseok laughed a little. “Actually, I used to be quite a gloomy child. I was closed off and wouldn’t talk to anyone. But I found some happiness and smiling always makes it better. Plus, I always try to make someone’s day with a smile. I want to make everyone’s day a little brighter.”

“I see.” Jin gave a small smile towards Hoseok, but his heart clenched at those words. The male was being happy for everyone else, but not himself. He wasn’t really happy, most likely, just pretending to be for everyone else, who’d come to expect it of him.

So was he really happy?

Or just pretending to be?

“Jin!” The male looked behind him to see a patch of golden hair racing towards him.

“Hyung.” Jin corrected Jungkook.

The god groaned, throwing his head back dramatically and rolling his eyes. “Hyung.” He finally said. “You left so early this morning.”

“I wanted to take a look around campus. I met Hobi, here, you know him?”

“Yeah! Hi Hoseok Hyung!”

“Oh, so it’s automatic for him, but not me. Shit head.”

“Hey!” Jungkook whined. Yoongi and Jimin came up behind Jungkook, and Jin spotted Taehyung trailing behind Namjoon not too far away as well.

“Hi! Good morning!” Hoseok said, greeting everyone. He turned to Namjoon’s and Taehyung. “I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Jung Hoseok, it’s nice to meet you! If you ever need anything, please don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Kim Namjoon.”

“Kim Taehyung.” The two introduced.

“What majors are you?” Hoseok asked curiously.

“Literature.” Namjoon said, his eyes raking over Hoseok, and analyzing him. Nothing about his posture or his expression displayed any kind of depression or pain. He seemed like just an overly happy person that had everything going for him.

It was a stark difference to what he’d seen the other day.

“Marine biology!” Taehyung said happily, smiling brightly at Hoseok, instantly taking a liking towards the man.

“Hey, Hobi…” Jimin began.

“Yeah?”

“How’s your boyfriend?”

“Oh!” Hoseok paused, thinking for a minute. “Well, actually, he left this morning on a business trip, he’ll be gone for awhile.” He pouted slightly. “But it’s fine, I can just have extra time to study.”

“You wanna hang out with us, too? We don’t really know anybody here, and you seem really nice, Hoseok.”

Everyone saw the human freeze again, uncertainty swimming within his eyes.

“Oh come on~” Jungkook whined. “You’re so cool, Hobi Hyung. Please?”

“I-I guess.” The male said, agreeing hesitantly.

He wouldn’t find out, right?

He was gone, after all.

Hoseok then nodded, clasping his hands together. “I should head to class, Yoongi Hyung, are you coming with me?”

“Sure.” Yoongi said quietly, walking over to the male.

“Bye guys! I’ll see you later!”

“Bye!”

Hoseok walked beside Yoongi towards class. They didn’t say anything to one another, just walked in comfortable silence.

“Hoseok.” Yoongi finally said.

“Yes, Hyung?”

“Are you happy?”

“What do you mean, Hyung? Of course I’m happy.”

Yoongi frowned, looking down.

Not because Hoseok had lied.

In fact…

He’d told the truth.

What upset him was the fact that the human was happy.