Prologue

"We are going to have to let you go."

"I'm fired?" Laurel, couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"No, not technically the thing is we can't exactly afford to keep you right now."

"So I'm fired? I have been here for almost three years! How is that possible?"

"No, just let go." The edgy man from corporate tried to smooth things down. Laurel was starting to make a scene and it wouldn't look good for him.

"What's the difference? You've practically just ended my life! You might me the lowest earner in your family judging by how low this supermarket pays but in my family I'm the bread winner." She yelled and didn't care that people were now staring.

Laurel marched to the locker rooms in the back to get changed. She couldn't believe this is happening. It was just a lame job at this huge hypermarket in town, Save Mart. Switching between cashier and clerk, it paid her alright judging on the number of shifts she could get in. Mostly importantly it was all she could rely on to support herself and her family back home.

She had lived in this town for five years now, since she was eighteen and spent three of those awful years at Save Mart. Before that it was just small part times, anything she could pick up. This was the only stable thing she had going for a while. She didn't know what to do.

-

"I just got fired!" Laurel sadly announced when she got to her apartment. It was a small space, two bedroom apartment. She dropped her things on the floor by the door and proceeded to walk to the couch and slouch.

"What!" Her roommate Ivy, exclaimed with wide eyes. "What did you do?"

She sighed sadly, "I didn't do anything. They just couldn't keep me." She said quoting her former manager's exact words.

"Oh!" Ivy said short of words to cheer her friend. "You know what we should do? Fuck them, let's go out you and still have a good time."

"I can't go out. I can't go out when I'm worried about how I'll make rent next month."

"Sure you can. You don't have to wake up early for your job tomorrow so that excuse is out."

Laurel still looked unconvinced.

"Come on! You haven't been out in forever. We better go out before you get another job because I know you are going to find one." Ivy was really working on convincing her to go out. "We go, you clear your head. It's not like your missing out on any job hunting in the night."

Laurel knew that her friend wanted the best for her but she just had weird ways of showing it sometimes. "I don't know."

"Either way your coming. Better go figure out what to wear. I can't imagine leaving you alone in this apartment all sad." Ivy said fixing her make up while at it. She was a pretty brunette, perfectly slim and had quite the character on her. They weren't friends before they became roommates but on meeting eachother they clicked immediately. Despite the differences in there characters. Ivy loved to go out, liked being around people and Laurel not so much.

"Still it won't change anything. I'll wake up hangover with a shitty life without a job." Laurel said, running her eyes to the back of her head. She looked calm on the outside but deep down she knew the meaning of unemployment to her and her family.

"Okay, I got nothing. Just come!"

"Oh, who am I kidding I'm coming."

Laurel hadn't been in a club in a while. Most of her night life was taking up shifts when she could and anywhere. She only came on celebratory occasions such as birthdays but to Ivy it was different, the night was her life.