36

"Okay, I love you but you have to wait till we are all settled so that I could give you some." Laurel said to her daughter they got through the door that evening. Elle was on her hip and her other hand was holding a bag and see through container of cupcakes. Her daughter was being jumpy and impatient trying to reach out to the cupcakes. It was Thursday, the third day of Jason's stay.

Laurel rushed to place the cupcakes onto the kitchen counter, also taking the time to help Elle sit on top of it. Turning to her living room she realized, there were people in her apartment and she wasn't alone. Great

Kevin and Will. Jason's brothers were here. He was too, standing by the open balcony doors on a phone call. Great.

Elle started to whine and tapping on Laurel's chest which quickly captured her attention. Being impatient as usual, so she figured she better attend to Elle first before being hospitable to the people in her house. She opened the container and picked out one of the cupcakes. It was chocolate with some cream on the top. She took a small bite as her daughter yearningly  watched. Elle let out a complaining sound again.

"Okay, okay here you go." Laurel laughed a little as she held the cupcake towards and watching her reach out to take a bite. She became excited as she chewed on it. She heard Jason's voice becoming louder and louder as she saw him approach them.

"Hey," He whispered to her with his usual warm smile. Laurel had been seeing a lot of it lately.

"Hi,"

"So they came over I hope you don't mind."

"It is fine." She smiled even though deep down she thought it wasn't fine. Once upon a time, she was so nervous to meet these people and now they're just in her apartment, comfortably.

"Hey sweetheart." He wrapped his large arms around Elle on the counter. "Enjoying you cupcake?"

"Hi daddy!"

He went ahead to carry Elle off the counter and held Laurel's hand as well leading her to the living room. Now, Laurel had one couch and extra arm chair to make up her living room. The arm chair is usually outside on the balcony but right now Kevin was seated on it and Will on the couch.

"You guys remember Laurel." Jason confidently said

Kevin spoke up first looking up with a smile. "Yes, you look different though."

"Yeah, she wears her hair short these days and she is not as big as she was before," Jason went ahead to sit on the arm of the couch right by wheel. "No offense."

He smiled at her.

"It's okay. I was pregnant so yeah." She smiled back at him.

"I am so excited for you to finally meet my daughter." Laurel watched as Jason's eyes lit up talking about Elle. He had that happy look on his face. She hadn't seen much of that face the past couple of days.

"This is Elle." He introduced, looking at his daughter who was strictly staring at Jason. He got her hand and made her wave. "Say hey!"

Kevin already had his hands up ready to pick her up. Jason carefully placed her on his brother's laps. Laurel cringed for moment seeing her daughter being passed on like that. She took in a breath and reminded herself this is also Elle's family and they are just visiting. In the meantime she presented herself with a humble look.

"Hey there, Elle. I am you uncle Kevin. I have been looking up to meeting you." Kevin introduced himself in a babyish voice. He held both her hands and was moving them around as he talked. Now Elle's hands moved to Laurel and she sent her a sweet smile.