Part 9

Jinx's sudden appearance really sparked Hawkfrost to his limits; he had known the white she-cat for moons, way too many moons to count that is how he has known her. Not only would it possibly affect his reputation in the Clan, but his relationship with his mate, Ivypool, who seemed to practically ignore him most of the time, by most of the time is actually all the time. She had distanced herself from everyone, keeping all her secrets, feelings, dreams, emotions, and love to herself, not giving it to anybody but their kits and not him. I'm not jealous, or am I? He thought as he walked beside the silver and white tabby she-cat, who hasn't said a word yet.

"Ivypool, are you mad at me?" He asked. He didn't get an answer like he hoped he would.

"Ivypool, you know you can't just shut me out of your life. I'm your mate and whatever happens to you matters to me." He needed answers from the she-cat.

"Maybe if you were my mate, you would have told all those pesky cats to leave you alone, but you enjoy their company so much you don't even bother with me anymore." She growled.

"I never said I enjoyed their company! So don't even try to assume."

"Really? Are you seriously going to start lying to me?!"

"I've never lied to you and I won't unless you want me to."

"If it's to make you happy, then go right ahead. I'm not gonna stop you."

"What's gotten into you? What happened to happy Ivypool? Where is the she-cat that I fell in love with?!"

"Are you sure you fell in love?"

"Of course! Why else would I have kits with you?"

"To prove your loyalty to Leopardstar."

"Why can't you even have a second to hear my side? Why do you always have to be the one to start and finish arguments?"

"I don't have to hear your side, I've already seen it."

"But you didn't even bother with it! I've had enough of your ignorant nature! Do you think it doesn't hurt to see you start distancing yourself from me? I still care about you even if you don't. After what we've been through together, I would never have cared as much as I do to you. You can dislike me all you want, but just know that I care." Hawkfrost turned and left, furry pricking at his pelt. He had never snapped at the silver and white tabby before and doing it now really hurt since he wouldn't know what her reaction would be; but why should he care? She doesn't like him anymore, so why should he even care the smallest amount? Oh, who am I kidding? Even if she does hate me, I won't stop loving her even if she is shutting me out of her life. The fluffy tom sighed in defeat, some tars sprinkling down his eyes. All I wanted was to be happy with her and our kits, and yet, I can't go with a heartbeat before Ivypool gets all moody. Was it wrong falling for her? His thoughts were cut short by a familiar, yet a voice he hated.

"What's wrong Hawk? Poutin' over how you can't get me?" Jinx sneered.

"Shut up! I never liked you and you very well know that." He growled, his pelt bristling.

"An' who would ever take you seriously? You like em' chickens I saw back in the farm before I came here. If you don't get my point 'cause you are stupid, your fur is fluffy." The lily white she-cat tucked her tail on her paws.

"Hmphm! If you saw my claws you would probably regret that."

"I've been knowin' you for moons, Hawk. Oh wait, I don't think you go by that anymore, do ya?"

"No, I don't. Leopardstar gave me the name Hawkfrost."

"I feel like she should have called you Hawtfrost. You lookin' like smoke since the last time I saw you."

"Are you kidding me right now?"

"I ain't kiddin'. I don't understand how you came out so nice lookin' while Tigerstar lookin' like a burnt chicken nugget."

"This isn't kittypet territory, stupid. Use Clan cat words or else no one will understand you."

"Pardon me then. Well, if you ain't gonna try to remember what a burnt chicken nugget is, it's a thing made from chicken. See how easy it was to guess?" Jinx stood up, padded towards him, then ran her tail on his chin.

"Err, I don't think that is necessary." He backed up, weirded out by her sudden behavior.

"Don't be playin' stupid! I know you still got em' feelings for me." She churred.

"Only cats who don't have a life like you." Hawkfrost turned and left, pelt still bristling. Once he placed one paw into the camp, Hawkfrost let all his anger out into the air.

"Hey! How did your hunting with Ivypool go?" Feathertail asked when he trotted next to the nursery.

"Umm, well... it didn't go as planned sadly." Hawkfrost saw the light grey tabby's kits tumbling all over her tail.

"I really thought you two would get back into the same terms. Ever since Jinx came, she has been more aggressive than she did before Jinx came." Feathertail mewed.

"That's because that pesky she-cat wants all my attention even though she knows that Ivypool is my mate."

"I don't know if it is true, but Jinx's name reminds me that it means bad luck. Suppose she really is bad luck which is why you and Ivypool have become more distant?" Feathertail shivered.

"I highly doubt that. It could be just that Jinx wants all the attention. Once she is better, perhaps Ivypool and I can get better." He hadn't told the queen the whole truth, but he just her what she needed to know.

"Ma, I want to be an apprentice now!" Smokekit boasted.

"Yeah!" Oakkit flanked beside his littermate.

"Well, you two will be apprentices within two moons." Hawkfrost mewed.

"When will we be apprentices?" Bubblekit's question caught all the cats attention.

"We wanna be apprentices too!" Her littermates, Spiderkit and Birdkit, wailed.

"Hush now. Hawkfrost is only one cat. Besides, you have around three moons before becoming apprentices." Their mother, Otterheart, silenced them.

"Now, why don't you go get a piece of fresh-kill then sleep? Leopardstar she needs lots of patrols tomorrow." Feathertail suggested.

"Um okay." The fluffy dark tabby headed towards the fresh-kill pile here Rainstorm was lingering.

"Hey, um Hawkfrost. Since Winterstorm is your daughter, do you have a clue what kind of prey she likes?" Rainstorm looked at him.

"Her favorite is minnow." Hawkfrost recalled his daughter's announcement to him, she had officially became mates with Rainstorm.

"Right. Thanks." Rainstorm dabbed a minnow before heading back to Winterstorm.

"I bet you are proud of Winterstorm." Fluffytail's voice caught his attention.

"Yes, I certainly am. I just never thought she would have a mate at such a young age."