Chapter 1 - A Faithful Encounter

Midoriya's POV:

"See you tomorrow Midoriya!" Kirishima said and happily waved goodbye to me from behind the counter as I walked towards the old-fashioned door to this little café we're working at. "Take care, okay?" He said with a smile as I turned my head and smiled back at him, raising my hand to wave at him.

"Yeah, I will, you too when your shift ends!" I said, smiling brightly at him as I opened the door and took my leave, my day at work finally over. I work at this old café on the edge of town, our location causes us not to have many customers, and the only customers that ever visit are old people and people who live nearby.

No complaints though, I like that we're never really busy and I enjoy chatting with the old people as they drink their coffee or eat their cake. Hagakure and Ashido work at the café as well, but they had the morning shift today so they left an hour after my shift started. I had a night shift tonight so naturally, it's dark outside by now and rather cold too.

Of course, I didn't bring a coat or anything today of all days... I thought and sighed out loud, the weather has been so nice the last couple of days so today I decided not to bring it, but then, of course, it gets cold again, just because I didn't bring that stupid coat. I quickly stuffed my hands in the pockets in my pants to try and keep them warm as I picked up the pace a bit.

"I just wanna snuggle in the warmth of my comfy bed with all my pillows surrounding me..." I mumbled to myself but knew there were at least ten more minutes of walking, even at a fast pace, before I got home. All the shops around here had already closed, as usual, as not many people in this neighborhood were out at this hour.

A loud crash was then heard from a side alley, startling me as I jumped slightly up in the air. I stopped walking and looked into the dark alleyway, a tint of fear lurking within me. What was that..? I thought and instinctively took a step back, maybe it's a thug or something like that... I should probably just get going... On that thought, I turned and began walking again.

"... Meow..." I had only taken two steps when a silent, fragile sound echoed from the alley, earning my attention once again as I looked over my shoulder to the alley again. Before I knew it, my body had moved towards the sound without me noticing. I hesitantly walked into the alleyway, keeping my guard up, ready to run at any suspicious movement or sound.

"H-Hello..? Is someone here..?" I asked, my voice shaking a bit from nervousness as the light from the streets became a little more distant, my eyes now having to adjust to the darkness. I couldn't really see anything or anyone here, so I heaved a relieved sigh as my right hand landed on my chest and my breathing calmed down. Must've been my imagination...

I looked down at the ground as I just took a couple of deep breaths, turning around to head back to the streets when I saw small drops of blood on the concrete below me. I hadn't noticed them before cause I was too focused on being ready to run to properly observe my surroundings. Someone has been hurt... I thought, my feet immediately stopped walking as kneeled down and ran a finger through the blood.

It hasn't stiffened or gotten darker, meaning it was dropped here recently... I thought as I then heard silent, careful movement from further into the alley. I slowly stood up and looked towards the place the sound had come from. It was faint, but it was without a doubt there.

"I'm here to help..." I said, trying to sound as calm as possible, though I still had my guard up. No one said anything, forcing me to go a little closer towards the place the sound had come from. Two empty cardboard boxes were abandoned on the ground against the wall on my right, and that's where the sound had come from. I carefully kneeled down on one knee and pushed one of the boxes aside to reveal a small, soaked ball of fur.