Fragment 8 - Illfang the Kobold Lord

"The first-floor boss fight is tomorrow are you ready with everything? Potions, equipment, extra—" the player with black hair and blue armor spoke but was interrupted by his partner.

"I have everything I need. Don't worry about me. What about yourself?" The coated player spoke with a low voice but had a feminine tone to it.

"I just packed a ton of stuff just in case. Before entering the Labyrinth we're going through a forest west of town so we might be fighting some minor enemies. Although after that the monster levels are going to jump at least two to three once we enter the labyrinth where the boss resides," the young man continued, " Then we prepare for the worst once the doors to the boss open. It could be our last, so I'd fight with all I've got." What he said was a spoken fact. No one would want to fight half-heartedly if their life was on the line.

The conversation ended when they finished discussing their plans for tomorrow. Haru thought he overheard something incredible but it was news he was already aware of.

The first-floor boss...Tomorrow could be our break from this hopeless first-floor...But Mr. Agil told me not to fight and because I lost... A grin surfaced on his face, he was plotting something that could possibly turn the tide of battle in tomorrow's boss fight.

Next Day

1st Floor – Labyrinth: In front of the Boss Chambers

"Alright! Today is the day that we defeat the first-floor boss!" Exclaimed a blue-headed player with the appearance of a knight.

"YEEAAAAHHH!!" Shouted all of the players present as it was their time to become the hope of the other players in the game.

"Heh. Let's follow Diavel!" Roared the caramel hair colored individual.

Everyone continued to shout their lungs out until the doors to the Kobold Lord opened.

A  grand chamber filled the view. Random blobs covered the walls with a rainbow palette. The marble floor was etched with an ambiguous pattern of purple but complimented the overall feeling of the room.

At the end a giant non-human figure stood from its throne, its copper-red glare intimidating the players before they set foot to fight. Two meters tall, its snout and teeth were humongous, its muscular body colored red as if stained by blood. Illfang the Kobold Lord, the first-floor boss, was nothing the players could've imagined. The boss had a nasty snarl and snapped its jaw as it drew its large-bone axe from its side and wielded a leather shield.

Diavel raised his sword, "Attack!"

1st Floor — Town of Tolbana

"Schmidt! Schmidt!" desperately yelled Haru.

"What kid? Why're you in such a rush?" the blacksmith took off his apron covered in jet-black dust.

"Is it ready?!" The young boy's eyes glittered with excitement.

"What?...Ohh, heh glad you asked kid," Schmidt went to the back of his small shop and rummaged through the junk that was scattered all over his table, "Let's see it has to be around here— Ahah!" Upon his discovery, he pulled out a dark-yellow tinted spearhead with a long raven handle. He brought it to Haru who sufficed a smile from ear to ear. "Here ya go kid! A Brass Spear, one of the first I've ever made, and to commemorate that I embedded your name on the handle in silver."

Haru scrupulously stared at the weapon, his jaw wide open, and his eyes beginning to tear up.

"I don't...This is amazing...I..." the receiver couldn't believe what he was handling.

"For the best of the best."

"I can show up and help them defeat the first-floor boss!" Haru jumped with joy but then his eyes saw a question mark appear over Schmidt's head.

"First-floor boss? Young boy, that monster is the strongest of its kind. Going against it is suicide," the blacksmith's tone of voice shifted into concern and worry. Then an exclamation point popping above the man's head.

Did I just activate a quest?  Haru continued to play along as he let the man continue to speak.

"Here young boy," he gave Haru what seemed to look like a scroll, "This is a recipe to a rare weapon that only the best of blacksmiths can create. When the boss is defeated, keep this blueprint with you. Hopefully, it will become useful on your journey above the first floor." It was like a warning but Haru managed.

He took the scroll and weapon then headed straight to his next goal, the First Floor Boss.