Fragment 32 - Sins

"Is there something you need?" Asked Kirito to Haru and his party. The commander told his guard to release the young player.

I rushed in without thinking...I'll just have to think while I speak.

"Bounding a person by chains when being put on trial, isn't that a little bit much? This is a safe zone, a red player like her couldn't do as much to scratch you," Haru gathered information as he looked around the room.

Realizing his own mistake, Kirito told one of his subordinates to release the girl from the chains.

"So? That couldn't have been the only reason why you barged in here right?"

"Right, why are you here?" The girl reiterated.

However, Haru didn't have a response to suffice for his sudden appearance.

"I don't mind you staying to watch, but try not to interfere. We need all the information we can from an individual like her." The black haired player said, "I'll continue."

"Red cursors, a status an individual reaches after killing a player within the game in a non safe zone area. There's been multiple sightings of such players and will soon cause an uproar if not dealt with. So my question is, who are you affiliated with?" Kirito was in Commander mode and nothing seemed to be stopping him.

"Why would that matter to you?" She asked.

"That much is confidential. You're not in a position to be avoiding my questions. I'll ask again, who are you affiliated with?"

"What a joke," she mocked him.

"You red players are good for nothing. Killing people without reason, only to ruin our attempt at trying to survive in this death game—"

"I see, that's what you think most red players are right? Cold-blooded killers. Say, what if I said I killed these people out of self-defense?"

"You must be out of your mind—"

"But it's true! Ask the little runt behind me, I'm sure he could tell you," the girl roped in Haru for her defense.

All eyes were on the young boy, and he definitely felt the pressure, however, he knew that she was telling the truth, but his judgement was clouded.

"Haru, is that true?" Hero asked.

Musashi stood in place with her arms still crossed, it looked like she was holding back on something.

"I-It's true..." he clenched his hands into fists. This isn't right...

"There you have it, I wasn't in the wrong. It was self-defense."

Kirito had a troubled expression on his face. "Nonetheless, you killed them. You—"

"Persistant are we? Then how about this? I was on the verge of death until I was rescued by the ones I killed, however, day by day I would be used to lure out monsters. Forced to drop all of my loot, and beaten if I didn't listen. I was stuck with them. Even though I didn't feel pain, I had already given up on this second chance at life. Tired of the same thing, today, I ended it. I finally set myself free from those bastards—"

Ending her rant was a slap to the face by Musashi, a total stranger to her.

"You thought that killing them would solve all of your problems?" The brown haired player was infuriated.

Huh?" the girl didn't flinch one bit, instead looked at Musashi with her dead beat eyes.

Musashi grabbed her by the collar and pulled her closer. "I know what you probably did was for your own good, but, their blood is now on your hands!"

"So?" She replied passively.

Musashi was baffled and shocked to see such a lifeless individual. "Why didn't you run away and call for help!?"

"I had no will to. Even if I ran away, they would find me again. There's no where to go in this world. We're bounded by endless restrictions."

"Bullshit! Self-defense...motives...was killing them really the right answer? There's no benefit, besides your own satisfaction filled with sin."

"What's it to you? You act like you've been in this situation before," the girl asked.

Musashi didn't respond, instead she made a sour face and left the room.

"H-Hey wait, Musashi! Where are you going?" her blonde party mate asked out of concern.

"Anywhere but here..." with that last sentence she left.

"Hmph, what a waste of time. Who does she think she is?" Muttered the killer.

"Laughing Coffin..." Kirito said with a booming voice.

The girl didn't say a word.

The dark guild? Haru collected his thoughts.

"If you're affiliated with that guild, there's no guarentee that you would be let out of this situation without a consequence," continued KoB's commander.

Consequence? More suffering? These people have no idea...The girl pursed her lips.

"Who put you—!"

"I!...No, my party will watch over her!" Yelled Haru.

What is this kid thinking?! She's a red player! Hero didn't understand what was going inside his head.

"We'll make sure she doesn't get into any trouble! Please, let her go!" He bowed.

"Haru...But even if she joins your party, she will still have to ability to leave anytime and cause more havoc—"

"I won't," she interrupted Kirito, "I won't cause anymore trouble."

I have no idea what this girl or Haru are thinking. If I let this girl go, then interrogations about Laughing Coffin will go down the drain. The leader was having an inner conflict, but he made his decision.

"Fine. I'll let her go with you! But don't think that we're going to stop keeping an eye on you."

"Yeah, yeah. We got it Mr. Uptight," the girl rudely called him.

"Wah— My name is Kirito!"

The door slammed behind the party that left the room.

Haru immediately sent the girl a request and she surprisingly accepted it.

Volt? What a weird name. He thought.

"So what's your plan? You potentially saved me from a boring lecture, but surely you have something in mind?" Their new member 'Volt' asked.

The young player was reluctant to answer, but he himself wasn't sure why he acted like that in the first place. He couldn't figure out why, so he told her the following, "I don't know...the way Kirito was talking to you...it didn't sit right with me..."

After getting a response, Volt remained quiet as she walked with Hero and Haru.

Hero was undoubtedly bothered by the addition of a red player, and didn't accept her. But he knew that Haru meant no ill intention by bringing her along.

Walking out of KoB headquarters, the next thing on the party's agenda is to look for Musashi.

"Ah...Musashi. I'll message her—"

"There's no need. She's right there," the young player pointed at a river bank that passed through the city.

On the grassy hillside was Musashi who was overlooking the water with a dark expression on her face.