Fragment 44 - Haste

2 Months Later
August 2024 — Floor 74

"You're sure that he's the one responsible? Not only that but you claim that he's also backed by the red guilds, and not just any red guild, but Laughing Coffin?" Kirito had his hands laced together over the table as he reiterated what was told to him.

Standing in the center of KoB HQ, a particular trio stood before the guild master without the presence of anyone else.

"It's up to you to believe us, but we didn't spend these last two months doing nothing ya know. This guy has hidden his tracks well, he knows we're onto him," Musashi continued to share the information that the Shadow Legion, minus Haru, have gathered.

Kirito brought his hands closer to his face as he narrowed his eyes at the trio. He seemed to be second guessing their info, but he also knew it was a step closer to figuring out the red guilds and where they operate if they dug into this deeper.

"We can't waste our time on this guy, Musashi. He doesn't listen," Volt scoffed as she began making her way toward the door.

The guild leader quickly stuck his arm out, "Wait! Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I didn't trust you guys. It's just...hard to believe that he was behind those ambushes on Haru a few months ago..." he looked at them, "I won't doubt you all. I appreciate that you've gone out of your way to collect this information, it's very helpful."

Hero stepped forward, "There's more," scrolling through his menu he selects a certain item then has Kirito accept it.

The object appeared before the guild leader then his eyes widened at the piece of paper. "This—These are coordinates?" Scanning the numbers written on the small crumpled wrapper he then opened up his map to find the exact location.

"Crystal Caves," Musashi expedited his search. "It was pure luck that we stumbled over it, but that's where the coordinates led us to. It's possible that it could be their hideout. That was also the place we saw him last."

There was a glint in Kirito's eyes as his facial expression hardened. "This is something we can't let anyone know about," he let out a long sigh, "3 days. In 3 days we'll gather 50 high leveled players, ambush the red players, and take them back to the Black Iron Palace, where they'll spend the rest of their days."

The other three were dumbfounded at how quickly Kirito thought of the plan, but they knew it wouldn't be easy to capture them alive. Their own lives would be at stake.

"I'll take 20 of my players and ask Fuurinkazan and Divine Dragon Alliance for another 20. I'll leave the remaining 10 up to you guys, if you fall short, no worries...Just make sure they're prepared and not just to fight," the last part of his sentence didn't even need to be finished. Everyone knew the consequences.

'Just make sure they're prepared to lose their lives.'

Their bodies shook for a moment. "R-Right," the swordswoman managed.

"Then, I'll see you guys in 3 days...Also, try not to let Haru get involved."

The Shadow Legion turned their backs and left KoB HQ.

"God, whenever I see the guy it's like the atmosphere gets stuffy," Volt fanned her face to cool down.

"Well, it wasn't exactly a cheery conversation I can tell you that much. You can tell he takes the red guild stuff pretty seriously," Hero rest his arms behind his head.

"Yeah, especially when he knows a close friend of his is involved, let alone a kid. I'd do the exact same thing," finishing her sentence, Musashi changed the topic, "anyways, where are we going to find 10 more people? This isn't something we can casually ask of others."

The other two pondered, then the eyepatched player began to speak.

"How about we bring it up like a quest? Ahem! Be prepared to slay those that impede the heroes! A task for those who are deemed worthy by the Shadow Legion. We will—GAH!" Hero fell to the ground clutching his shin that Volt kicked.

"We're plenty enough, there's no need to rope in other players...I don't want to be held responsible," she walked ahead of the other two.

Musashi glanced over at Hero and told him to get up, "No pain, remember?"

"Oh...right...ahahah," he chuckled then scratched the back of his head playfully.

One Day Later

Walking down the steps from his room, Haru greeted his party members with a light yawn.

"Good morning," he paused then squinted as he looked around the area, "where's Volt?"

"She said she had some urgent business to take care of, but she'll be back." Musashi replied as she was maintaining her weapon, Hero doing the same.

"Is that so? I feel like she's been going out on her own lately..." the young boy then gasped with wide eyes as sweat dripped from Musashi and Hero's chins.

The two adults made eye contact as they had troubled expressions.

"Don't tell me she found a new party?!"

A huge sigh of relief could be heard then Hero replied, "Not the case. Remember, she still has her red cursor. No one is crazy enough to have red player blatantly on their team, let alone Volt," he let out a dry laugh.

"Whew. That's good! For a second there I thought she was tired of us," the young boy put a hand on his chest as he exhaled in relief.

"Volt will probably be gone for awhile, how about we get a quick loot grind in?" Musashi offered and without hesitation, Haru said "Yes!"

...

Making a second appearance at KoB, the pressure of the prejudice against the red players was much more evident now that she was by herself.

Treading the halls slowly while walking behind a member of the guild, Volt could feel the glares and hear the murmurs of the other guild members clearly with her high level hearing.

"Tch. Back again?"
"The Marauder Queen and Shinigami usually come in with her."
"Seeing her just makes my blood boil."

Only focused on the path in front of her, the player she was following stopped to open the door to a vast room she had stood in with the others previously.

"Go ahead."

She walked in then the doors closed behind her. A voice echoed in the chambers, "I take it you guys have a list of players that will join us, Enigma?"

Kirito referred to Volt who didn't seem to take too kindly to the nickname that was given to her around. The front line players hated the idea of joining forces with a red individual; but because she willingly participated consistently with the Shadow Legion, they had no choice but to recognize her as part of the clearing team.

Her existence as a red player who helps clear the floors without a definitive reason is—as her nickname states—an enigma.

"...We're not inviting anyone else. The three of us with be enough."