Fragment 40 - A Virus

Power...Kill...Kill them...

Emerging from the depths of a nightmare, Haru jolted awake, his breath ragged as he frantically scanned his surroundings, disoriented and uncertain of his whereabouts.

"Haru!" The collective voices of those in the room echoed his name.

Musashi, Hero, Volt, and Asuna gathered around him.

"You guys..." Haru's voice trembled softly as he struggled to contain his emotions.

"How are you feeling? You probably don't feel any pain, but anything could happen," Hero inquired, gently examining the young boy's head for any signs of injury.

"I think...I'm fine..."  Haru's response was feeble, betraying his true condition.

Obviously not. Volt sighed.

"How did you end up like and why is your cursor orange? How could you let yourself get into that position—" Before Musashi could delve further into questioning, Hero intervened, pulling her back with a shake of his head, silently urging restraint and empathy in the moment.

Haru replies to her intial question with what happened when he was in the field against orange cursored players, purposefully leaving out the details with the gauntlets.

"So they're after those gloves?" Asuna speculated, her brow furrowing with concern.

"It seems so...we'll probably hold off on training with them, so just keep them in your inventory. I have no idea why they would be after it but...let's prioritize keeping you out of harm's way."

The group unanimously agreed with Musashi's decision and allowed Haru to rest, recognizing the importance of his well-being.

In the days that followed, the team opted to step back from the front lines for a while, choosing instead to proceed at their own pace, away from the immediate dangers of battle. Or so they thought.

...

As they entered the labyrinth, bracing themselves for the unknown challenges ahead, the group remained vigilant. However, despite their cautious approach, they found themselves immediately in trouble.

"Guess who decided to show up!" An unfamiliar voice reverberated across the labyrinth landscape, sending a shiver down their spines.

Coming to an abrupt halt, the group instinctively drew their weapons, their senses heightened for any sign of danger.

Before Haru could even reach for the lance strapped to his back, it vanished into thin air, replaced by an unsettling sensation coursing through his hands.

"Wha—I didn't—" Haru's voice trembled with bewilderment as he watched the gauntlets materialize on his hands, a surge of panic quickening his heartbeat.

What the hell! They just showed up?! Hero's disbelief was mirrored by the rest of the group.

That's definitely not a normal item. Musashi concluded.

Volt held her defensive stance, her eyes locked onto Haru, her expression a blend of disbelief and tension.

"Wow, revealing your true colors already? How, eager of you, little boy!" A woman draped in crimson descended gracefully from atop a rocky outcrop.

As soon as she landed, the group soon found themselves encircled by red players who didn't seem too friendly. Every single one of them had a mean crooked on their face and a heavy bloodlust.

"Red cursors...every single one of them..." Musashi muttered under her breath, her voice tinged with apprehension.

"We're out numbered," Hero swallowed hard, his nerves on edge.

As panic threatened to engulf him, Haru's vision was swallowed by the familiar red glitch, accompanied by an intensifying ringing in his ears.

Overwhelmed by the onslaught of sensations, Haru collapsed to the ground, his friends rallying around him in concern.

"HARU!" They cried out in unison.

"Fuck! Why now?!" The eldest of the group's composure began to falter, frustration and fear seeping into her voice.

"Take them out," the woman in red commanded, her voice cold and unwavering.

With no hesitation, her lackeys dashed towards their prey and did a flurry of attacks on the trio, while they protected Haru.

This was the beginning of their nightmare.