Fragment 16 - Nightwatcher's Nest

Haru nonchalantly accepted his friend Gold's odd request without a second thought. Musashi thought the whole situation was stupid, but at the same time she thought it was a good way to spend some time away from the front line.

16th Floor - Field

"I can't believe you just accepted it. Ugh, kids nowa days don't always know what they're getting into," the swordswoman played with the hilt of her sword attached to her hip.

"Doesn't it sound cool though?! I've never been to one of these events before! 'Capture the golden egg that everyone has been raving about and I'll pay you handsomely,'" said Haru trying to copy Gold's voice.

"Honestly, his obsession with gold things is kind of...well people like what they like I guess," Musashi sighed.

The duo walked around the field in search of a particular place, and without much effort they were able to find it by following the crowd of people at the base of a large hill.

"Your goal is to climb up this hill and acquire the golden eggs that are being guarded by the 'Nightwatcher'! No one has successfully gotten a single egg but there are only four in the nest! You can do whatever you want to get the egg! And it's a free for all!" Exclaimed a NPC announcer.

"Augh this is too hard," said one player.

"This is impossible," complained another.

Haru and Musashi made it to the front of the crowd only to see players rolling down the hill after being swatted from the eagle-like monster.

"Wow! Everyone seems pretty hyped up, this seems pretty fun!" Young Haru's eyes glistened to the challenge.

"Do we lose HP if we fall?" Musashi was concerned.

"Good question!" The announcer somehow picked up her question and yelled into the microphone.

So loud...she winced.

"You do NOT get fall damage if you end up rolling down the hill, however, because we are still in the field, monsters can still attack you, hence the field boss 'Nightwatcher', can still damage you as you climb up the hill in an attempt to get an egg!" He explained.

Musashi didn't respond and instead focused her attention back to the players pathetically rolling down the hill.

So you can still 'die' if you're careless is basically what I'm getting. She summed up the NPC's explanation.

Suddenly the crowd goes "Oooo!" in excitement. Haru and Musashi turn their heads to a particular individual who stood out.

"Isn't that the Black Swordsman?"
"The beater?"

Black Swordsman? First I ever heard of him. Thought Musashi.

"KIRITO!" Yelled Haru.

The player dressed in all black looked in the direction his name was called.

"Ah, Haru! What are you doing here?" the two high-five like buddies from school.

"Same as everyone here. I couldn't skip out on a rare event like this," he sounded like a gaming nerd, "but it's also rare for you to be with someone else."

"The name's Musashi," she stuck out her hand as a greeting. He's that smart mouthed kid from back then.

Kirito respectfully took her hand and shook it, "Kirito..." she's the person I looked after when she knocked out. "Wait, Musashi? As in the Floor Boss killer?"

"No—" she tried to say something until the announcer yelled into the mic again.

"THE MORE THE MERRIER! THE EGGS AREN'T GOING TO ROLL DOWN THEMSELVES!"

Turning their attention back to the golden eggs, Kirito, Haru, and even Musashi try their best to get them.

"Alright! Let' do this!" Yelled Haru as he ran up first.

"I won't let you get there before me!" said Kirito behind him

"...All for an egg..." Musashi followed.