Prologue

Natsuki's POV:

    "I'm sorry Sayo, but I can't make it to your dinner tonight. " I explained as I shuffled the papers in front of me feeling so tired. Yuri was already passed out on the couch, exhausted from editing all the books she was hired to proofread and edit to readable quality.  We were both drained, too drained to make it to Sayori and Monika's anniversary dinner.
   "Aww but Monika and I really wanted you guys to come! Plus we haven't seen you guys in like three weeks, that's almost a month Natsuki!!" She whined into the phone and I sighed holding back a yawn, as I rubbed the bridge of my nose in exhaustion.
    "Any other day I totally would, but Yuri's asleep,  and I feel like joining her any minute now!" I reasoned letting the papers for my upcoming cookbook drop to the table in front of me as Sayori sighed sadly.

  "It's just, it's our fifteenth year anniversary and we wanted our bestest friends and cousin-in-laws to celebrate with us!" She was begging now and trying to guilt trip me. She whimpered into the phone. I groaned in exhaustion and irritation.
  "Sorry Sayo, maybe we can go out for breakfast tomorrow morning. " I negotiate and she scoffs. I yawn, this time unable to hold it back as my head droops slightly.
   "Tomorrow morning isn't our anniversary and now Monika and I are going to be all alone at our table for four! I'll never forgive you for this." With that she hung up. I didn't think much of it, I mean its Sayori, she'd have forgiven me and be at breakfast first thing tomorrow. With a shrug of nonchalance I laid my head down on the table, allowing sleep to overcome me.
............................................................................

   "They're not coming I guess." Sayori pouted and Monika giggled, grabbing her wife by the waist she brought her in for a warm kiss.
   "That's alright, my mom's watching the kids all night, so you and me can have a little fun." She whispered seductively bringing her in for another heated kiss. They pulled apart breathless and panting before they hungrily reconnected their lips in a heated and lustful clash.
   "Alright you two, get going!" Niki chuckled as the couple broke apart reluctantly and Sayori wiped the spit from her chin, grinning dreamily. Monika nudged her with a laugh.

  "We're going mama, trying to get rid of us?" She questioned teasingly and Niki rolled her eyes grabbing Monika's face and kissing her cheek sloppily  "Agh mommm gross!" She complained trying to pull away.
    "I love you baby." She whispered and Monika grinned
   "I know I'm the greatest." She then dodged her mother's slap and dashed down the hall with a giggle. Sayori shook her head wrapping her mother-in-law in a warm embrace.
   "I love you mama Niki!" She exclaimed.
   "Suck up!" Monika laughed as Sayori raced after her.
............................................................................

  "Bye bye baby!" Sayori cooed as Naomi hugged her mama around the neck and kissed her cheek.
    "Don't go mama, I wanna watch little witch academia with you!" Their nine year old daughter whined clutching tightly to her mama. Sayori chuckled blowing a raspberry into her neck, making her squeal.
   "I'll be home tomorrow baby promise, and we'll watch it together. " she whispered and Naomi rubbed her eyes.
   "Promise?" She whispered and Sayori grinned, kissing her forehead before she passed her to Monika.

"bye baby girl, you take care of your grandma Mimi, cause she's getting kind of old." She stage whispered making her daughter giggle.
   "Keep it up darling and you'll be staying home tonight." Her mom warned as the twins, who were four tackled their mama in a group hug.

With a few more kisses and hugs their mothers waved goodbye and got into their car and drove away.

Three Hours Later .....

*Ring*
    *Ring*
      *Ring*
I rub the sleep from my eyes and yawned. I blearily glared at my phone, eyeing the unknown number with distaste before I reluctantly answered it. I scratched my chin and smacked my lips, completely sore and tired from falling asleep at my desk.
   "Hello Mrs. Tanaka?" The voice questioned sounding remorseful. I straightened in my chair, my stomach dropped at his tone. I looked over at Yuri,  who was peacefully sleeping away on the couch still.
   "Yes that's me, but you can call me Natsuki." I encourage kindly and the voice sighs.
   "Look Natsuki there's no easy way to say this but um there's been an accident involving Monika and Sayori Salvato-" my heart breaks in half. "You were the last person Sayori called....I'm so sorry. "

  "No, are they alright? I'll be there in like thirty minutes, just let me wake my wife! What hospital are they in?" I exclaim and he clears his throat roughly. "I just gotta call a taxi or something because my car didn't start this morning..."
   "Natsuki,  the accident was fatal, they didn't make it." All the oxygen leaves my lungs, I can't breathe,  can't speak. No this can't be true, this can't be true. No...no no no

"NO, you're lying, I talked to Sayori,  I just talked to her on the phone, she's alive,  i just talked to her on the phone, we were going to have breakfast tomorrow! You're lying, you're lying! No, no. " I'm sobbing and yelling and I can't breathe,  my heart feels as if it's bleeding out in my throat.  I'm shaking all over because this better be a damn nightmare because my best friend and her wife weren't gone they couldn't be gone.
   "I'm so sorry for your loss, but the accident was instant. A drunk driver T-boned them right off a bridge and they died instantly." He whispered as if that was supposed to make me feel better about this? As if that made this okay!

  "Shut up, they're not dead, I talked to Sayori three hours ago, THREE HOURS AGO! She can't be gone...I didn't get to say goodbye or how proud I am that they've been married fifteen years. Oh God they died on their anniversary! This is their special day...why?" My voice quivers then breaks completely as I sob to some faceless stranger.

  "Suki what's the matter? What's wrong?" My wife is sitting up now, intuned to me, and my outbursts.
   "He's lying, they're not dead, they're not dead. They can't be dead...they're not dead...Yuri they can't be dead...we were going to have breakfast..." Yuri approaches me quickly all traces of sleep leaves her features as she gently pries the phone from my shaking grasp. I curl up into a ball, sobbing heavily. Sayori I'm so sorry.  I'm so sorry this is all my fault. Monika and Sayori, gone...they can't be, no please don't be gone...

Why hadn't I said yes? Why hadn't I said yes? Now I'd never see my best friend again.

Our phone call was the last thing I said to her.

............................................................................

Yuri's pov

Dressed in black surrounded by Monika and Sayori's nearest and dearest friends and family, I just feel so...numb. I wanna scream, I wanna cry, but most of all I want my cousin back. I find my aunt Niki, she's sitting with little baby Rosie on her lap, tears are constantly falling from her eyes as she rocks the baby that will never know her mothers. I stare sadly at a picture up front, it's from Monika's tenth birthday, she looks so happy,  birthday cake in hand as she beams at the camera, that poor child didn't know of her bleak future that fate had in store for her.

It's not fair, Monika had four children who relied upon her and Sayori, why them? Why'd it have to be them?  When Monika's song

"Your Reality" starts playing across the speakers I lose it, I sob and sob, until I can barely breathe. Why hadn't we just gone to dinner with them? Maybe then that damn drunk driver would've passed us by, maybe we'd all stay late and have dessert and he'd be long gone...maybe if we hadn't been selfish they wouldn't have been T-boned and killed instantly.

"Yuri, beautiful hey, I'm here." Feeling Natsuki take my hand in hers gives me strength and I kiss her hand gently.  This was all so unreal.  This wasn't happening.

Why did life have to be so cruel?

To Be Continued....

So how do you guys like it so far? I know it's depressing but I mean it'll be great don't worry