chapter 3

Yuri's POV:

I quickly made my wife and Naomi's lunch, today we were going over to Sayori and Monika's house to gather the kids things as soon as Natsuki got off work...I know the boys didn't understand and Naomi understood too much. This was all so hard.

Natsuki came racing down the stairs dressed in her uniform and my heart fluttered in my chest.

Natsuki being a police officer both delighted me and terrified me. Delighted because I love the sight of my wife in a uniform and terrified because she was constantly in danger every time she went to work and I'd get anxious if she was even a minute late coming home.

  "Naomi, kid you ready for school?" Natsuki called up the stairs as she grabbed an apple and started munching it while trying to pour herself some coffee.

  "So I take it your rush to get out of here has nothing to do with you avoiding telling me why you woke up four times last night all freaked out?" I grumbled refusing to help her pour her coffee when she was keeping things from me.  Natsuki nearly choked on her bite of apple.

  "Ri-ri I didn't...it's not anything..." she stammered trying to make her lies believable.  I rolled my eyes at her and put my empty mug in the sink with a slam and started towards the stairs to check on Naomi.

   "Whatever Natsuki..." I mutter taking the stairs two at  a time, truth be told I was fairly exhausted myself, because if Natsuki wasn't waking up screaming then little Rosie was, wanting fed or changed.  So my temper was short, I was running on like an hour of sleep and I'd let Natsuki sleep.

   "Wait a minute Yuri  ....don't  be like that..." she exclaimed trying to follow me but I turned the corner at the top of the stairs and knocked on Naomi's door.

  "Do I  have to go to school?" Naomi asked opening the door sadly. She had on her little witch academia shirt, for the fifth day in a row and her little black leggings, and as much as I wanted to let her stay home with me again, I knew she had to go or she might never go.

   "I know you want to stay home, but you have to go to school. I'll pick you up from the bus stop and maybe we'll go to the park afterschool or something before your aunt Natsuki gets home." I offered as I picked up her hairbrush and began gently combing through her thick blonde hair.  

  "You're not gonna drive to the bus stop are you?" She whispered fearfully and I  contemplated her question. Sure it'd be a bit of a walk from the house to the bus stop especially with four kids but if it soothed her...

"I was thinking of walking actually and then we could all walk to the park." I offered relieved when she let out a breath of relief and smiled for a fraction of a second before she grabbed her wonder woman backpack and started for the door, pulling on her pink sneakers as she went. "Wait Naomi you need a coat, it's still a little chilly out..." I grabbed her red coat and she slipped it on.  Just then Rosie began to cry.  I sighed following the sound to her room as Naomi raced down the stairs for breakfast.

   "You sure inherited your mommy's voice didn't you?" I cooed scooping the sobbing baby into my arms. She sniffed her little hands grasping for something I couldn't see.
  "Ma...ma" she sobbed I turned and my heart broke...

 I reached out touching the picture with my shaking fingers, when had this gotten here? This was so long ago

  "Naomi and I are heading out Yuri!" Natsuki called up the stairs. I sniffed looking down at the beautiful baby who was staring at the photo sadly. "Yuri?" Natsuki called again and I don't remember putting it up...had Natsuki?

   "Yuri what if we make a club...like one that will attract Sayori and Natsuki?"

  "Honestly Monika it'd have to be something they both like..."

  "What about the literature club?"

  "Yuri!" Natsuki's hand brushed aside a strand of my hair and I choked back a sob, tears were already trailing down my face as I looked to my wife. Her magenta colored eyes were clouded with her concern as she brushed away my tears. "What's the matter, Beautiful?" She whispered softly and I shook my head sadly.

   "I just.... Rosie wanted her...her...moms...she saw the picture...old memories swept over me...I'm sorry..." I struggled to swallow my tears and be strong. Strong for Natsuki,  strong for Naomi,  strong for the twins,  strong for Rosie, I couldn't afford to be weak...not in front of them. They needed me.

   "Ri-ri you don't have to be sorry." Natsuki exclaimed her thumb rubbing slow loving circles against my cheek. Rosie whimpered then, reminding me of my decision. I sniffed one last time, rubbing away my tears, this would be the last time I cried in front of them.

  "Well you better be off or you'll be late, I'm just going to feed Rosie then wake the boys. Love you!" I pecked her on the lips and bounced Rosie in my arms gently as I strutted from the room.

  "Hey wait a minute Yuri..." my wife called and I turned slowly to meet her stern expression. "You don't have to pretend like you're okay if you're not.." I sighed she's one to talk. I shake my head and continue towards the kitchen.

  "Go or you'll be late Natsuki. " I insist bouncing the baby in my arms as I make her some formula.  Natsuki sighs but then takes Naomi's hand and walks out the door.

  "I love you. " she calls and then shuts the door before I can reply. I sigh slumping against the counter.

  "Oh Rosie why does everything have to be so damn complicated?" I sniffed rubbing the bridge of my nose with a tired sigh.

To Be Continued...

And the cracks in Yuri and Natsuki's marriage begins ...
Dun dun dun