Chapter 20

Later at the cafe, the couple settled down at their reserved seat and ate their dinner. Of course their arrival had caught the eyes of many people and greeted them hello, but the couple didn't find it troubling to say hello back before they ate. As they were eating however, Sonic started having a feeling that they were being watched, despite the other customers's glances and topic of conversation to each other. Sonic made a quick look around the cafe as Shadow continued to eat, and spotted a shadowy figure quickly disappear from a window. He instantly got up from his seat and raced after whoever he saw outside, leaving everyone confused. Especially Shadow, since he has not seen him behaving in such a way before throughout the four months of his pregnancy, but he knew that he doesn't do anything without a reason, and started contacting Rouge for help. However, before he could pick up his phone, he was greeted with a call instead, and it just so happens to be the person he was thinking about.

Shadow: Hello? Rouge?

On the other side, Rouge was running as Shadow could clearly tell by her panting and the heavy fast footsteps he can hear on the phone despite the heavy traffic, but now he's wondering why she's not answering him in the call that she made to him. Until he continued to listen into the call.

Rouge: AAHH!! OOF! Hey! Calm down hun! It's me!

Sonic: Rouge? What were you doing here?

Rouge: I was given a mission from the commander to watch out for you and Shadow. We had a reading in our scanners about Eggman's presence in the city and sent us to help you stay safe for Shadow's sake.

Sonic: If Eggman's around, why didn't anyone tell me this?

Rouge: You were already starting to eat the moment we arrived to you. We didn't want to ruin the moment and make things tense for you guys so we've decided to wait for you to finish first.

Sonic: Wait hold on a second. "We"? So it's not just you that's watching over us?

Rouge: Yeah, so don't worry about Shadow being alone. Topaz is where he is now, which in this case is the cafe.

As Shadow continued to listen through his phone, Topaz suddenly came into the cafe, but instead of wearing her uniform, she's wearing regular clothes. It shocked him a little, but that didn't stop him from inviting her to sit with him, considering what he just heard through his phone, he would like to hear more about what the commander told her and Rouge to do exactly.

Shadow: Hello Topaz.

Topaz: Hello Shadow, glad to see you here. I know what you heard over the phone with Rouge, so I'll fill you in with everything once Rouge and Sonic come back.

Shadow: Alright.

And they continued to listen to Shadow's phone to hear what else Rouge has told Sonic as they made their way back to the cafe from wherever they are.

Sonic: How many of you guys are there?

Rouge: Sorry hun, but that I can't say. Only the commander knows specifically how many are now guarding both you and Shadow. Not even Topaz knows.

Sonic: *sighs* Alright then. What about the weapons they carry? I definitely don't want ANY of them to be shooting my family!