The Commander

A/N: Hey guys! This chapter is going to be kind of like a prequel of the 100. It will detail the life of the grounders under Lexa's rule before the Ark sent the 100 to the ground. Any ideas would be much appreciated as I have not decided where I'm going with this story yet! Feel free to comment and enjoy! :D

Lexa's POV

"Heda!"

"Heda!"

"Commander?" I sit up quickly in my throne straightening my back as my surroundings snap into focus.

"What is it?" I say through clinched teeth.

"Heda, a man from Trikru has requested your presence" Gustus looks at me calmly as he speaks.

Any other man would waiver under my gaze, but not Gustus. He has been with me since the conclave and has vowed his life to protect mine.

"Guards!" I call sternly. Two men come forward and place my armor on top of my shoulders. I snap the front into place and grab my sword from Gustus.

As I leave I grab my dagger off of the table and place it within my armor. Never too cautious.

Men and women line the center of TonDc each bowing and whispering "Heda" as I pass.

I can't help but notice the somber look in the crowd as I near the center of the city. Women and children keeping their eyes trained on the ground. Not daring to look towards the direction in which I approach.

My hand rests on the end of my sword as I approach. Gustus at my side and three guards to the rear. More guards lining the streets and bowing as I nod to each of them.

"What is going on here Gustus" I whisper to the towering man beside me.

"I know not of the details" he whispers back.

I tilt my chin slightly up as I walk through the crowd. Being sure to keep my emotions concealed behind my war paint, as I always have.

The crowd begins to open up to a large open space in the center. Only men line the edges wishing to see the events unfold.

"Out of my way" I yell. My voice full of authority and power.

The men move aside and dip their heads to me as I pass. No one making even the slightest eye contact.

Two men stand in the center of the crowd each restrained by a guard with a knife to his throat. One of the men catches sight of me and calls out.

"Heda, please"

Every pair of eyes that wasn't already on me are now fixed on me. The desperation in his voice cutting through the crowd.

"Release him" I command. The guard pushed the man forward who falls to his knees in front of me.

"Heda...may I speak to you"

I see Gustus shoot a confused look in my direction as the man pleads.

"You may" I say cooly. Holding his gaze with my own.