Reasons

Lexa's POV

"Her people will come looking for her Heda, you know this" Gustus almost whispered the words as if it wasn't already obvious to anyone nearby.

"Then let them come" I groaned. I shot him a look which he returned, holding my gaze as if I couldn't have him slaughtered with a simple command.

I respected Gustus for this reason. He wasn't afraid of me. Sometimes I think it would be in his best interest to simply carry out my commands but then he wouldn't be doing his job.

"Heda, you had no reason to capture her" his eyes focused intently on mine.

"Do I need to explain myself to you Gustus?"

"I am here to advise y-"

"I know how you feel on the matter" I turned away from him. "I have my reasons."

I turned to face him. His features were rigid and his stare cold. He seemed to be contemplating something, debating with himself if he should speak on the matter.

"I hope your vision has not been clouded Heda" he said as he turned to leave.

I walked over to my bed and sat on the edge putting my head in my hands. I have never seen that look in his eyes before. There was no trace of warmth. He looked at me with a cold disappointment. Did he know something about me that i didn't?

I walked out of my tent angrily throwing the flap to the side. How dare he attempt to get into my head. This is why he is weak. His decisions are controlled by emotion.

I walked over to the tent that the sky girl was being held in. I wondered if I should enter. Realizing that the guards were standing there waiting for my command I stepped forward. They opened the tent flap and followed me inside.

She was tied to a large post in the center of the tent. Her arms were bound around the post behind her and she was on her knees. Her face was tainted with fear. She didn't make an attempt to meet my eyes.

I stood there for a minute my breath quickening. I felt the guards exchanging glances behind me.

"Leave us"

The sound of shuffled feet and the closing of the tent flap followed.

I knelt down next to her and removed the gag from her mouth. She slowly raised her head and her blue eyes poured into my soul. I step away quickly and turned my back to her. I paced the tent until I felt that I could hide my emotions and think clearly.

I decided to become the ruthless commander again. So I bit back my confusion and hardened my features.

"What is your name" I said coldly.

"Clarke" her voice was chocked and raspy. She made no efforts to fight her restraints and a feeling of overall defeat radiated off of her.

"Well Clarke Kom ski kru-"

"Can I ask you a question" she said plainly.

Did she just...cut me off. I turned around to make sure that no guards were present. This sort of disrespect should be punished.

"Are you some sort of leader here"

"I am lexa kom trikru commander of the 12 clans" I lifted my chin slightly and hardened my features.

"Can I ask why you attacked me in the woods and brought me here" she gave a breathy laugh.

What was wrong with her? There was no humor in this situation. Under any other circumstance I would have her tortured immediately. Why didn't I? What was so differen-

"Lexa i-" she began.

I grabbed her by her shirt and pulled her up to her feet. "Commander" I hissed at her. The way she said my name..i instantly felt my features soften. No one called me Lexa.

"Commander" she gasped. I had twisted her shirt and made it difficult for her to breath. I released my grip on her and she slid back down the pole and onto her knees. It was pitiful.

"I captured you because you have information I need, your people fell from the sky and landed in Trikru territory. A place that you are not welcome"

"We had no idea that there were people down here" she groaned. A hint of annoyance in her tone.

"How many of you are there?" I questioned her.

"99 when we landed, one didn't survive impact...I have no idea how many are still alive."

I suddenly remembered the black object she held in her hand when she killed the deer. I hadn't picked it up off the ground when I captured her.

"What weapons do you have?"

"Knifes, Spears, axes, and a few small guns" she began, her breath heavy.

"Guns?" I stared at her plainly. Hiding my confusion.

"The thing that made the loud sound and killed the deer before you captured me." She sighed as if I was boring her with my questions.

"Guards...untie her." I commanded

They cut her free and lifted her up by the shoulders. She winced in pain. Her eyes meeting mine.

"Take her away" I motioned for them to go.

I stared at the place she had been siting only a moment ago and allowed myself to think about what just happened.

The light sound of the tent flap opening stirred me from my thoughts.

"She wasn't tortured" a familiar voice once again questioned me.

"She told me everything I needed to know" I said simply. Still not facing Gustus.

"What did you need to know Heda? What difference does it make if the armies of the 12 clans will be here by sunset tomorrow to lay waist to them?" His voice did not waiver.

I turned to face him. "This is none of your concern. However I will tell you what you wish to know. They have a weapon that is superior to our own."

"A few small ones" he stepped closer to me his eyes cold and his features hard.

"She could be lying" my voice came out chocked and did not hold the authority i wished it had.

"You had no reason to capture her. You couldn't torture her. She is useless to our people yet she's here and her people are still out there. No doubt searching for her. I beg you-"

"I will not hear this!" I shouted. Footsteps outside the tent ceased and quiet conversations came to a sudden stop. "GET OUT! NOW!"

He put his head down quickly. He turned and left. The shame that he carried would follow him throughout the camp. At least for tonight.

Why torture a girl who gave me all the information I asked for? Capturing her would prove useful in the morning. I would get her to tell me everything about her people. Why did I care about her people? They would all be dead tomorrow.

My head began to ache and my frustration seeped through the cracks of my mask. I am the commander I don't need to explain myself!