May We Meet Again

A/N: Thanks for 200+ reads! Comment any suggestions or feedback! ;D

Lexa's POV

The sound of horse hooves approaching at a canter echo loudly as the village falls silent. They continue to approach before coming to a rapid stop at the perimeter of TonDC. Shouting occurs between the guards and the rider as the gates are opened and the horse trots inside.

"Where is Heda? I have urgent news from Polis!"

I step into the open before the rider and his horse, still mounted. He throws his leg over the saddle and hops of the horse. Looking up at me he bows slightly before speaking. "Titus has sent me to inform you that the Natblidas have been taken from the capital."

My face flushed of all color and my knees felt week, as if they were about to give out from under me. Gustus was by my side in seconds holding my weight against his side. "Heda, we must get you to the tent." He wrapped his arm around my waist and walked me towards the Commanders tent.

I turned to see the messengers face once more "send word to Titus that I will be there by sunrise tomorrow! I will have answers!" I saw him nod before mounting his horse again. Gustus continued walking me into my tent.

He pushed the flap aside and helped me inside, looking at me with the same fear that I wore on my own face. The Night Bloods were the most important asset to the capital, they were the future Commanders. Their deaths would leave the coalition in pieces.

"Lexa?" Clarke burst threw the tent entrance of the tent, almost running into Gustus. "Whats going on i hear-"

"Someone took the Natblidas from Polis." The words chocked in my throat and I couldn't suppress a sharp breath that left my throat loudly.

"The what?" Clarke looked at me confused. I hadn't gotten a chance to tell her anything of Polis or of the ways of my people. I had planned on telling her after I convinced her to remain with me and accompany me to Polis some day. Now that day would never come.

"After my death one of them will take my place as Commander, only a Natblida can become Heda." I looked up at her weakly, my mind spinning. It was true I pushed aside all emotions when it came to being Heda but the Natblidas have been with me since I took command. I had trained them every day I spent in Polis. The thought of any harm coming to them sent fire through my veins.

Clarke looked at me sadly, not fully understanding the situation but knowing enough to understand my frustration. I looked to Gustus who seemed just as flustered at the new information.

"We must go now Heda!" He looked between me and Clarke, "Your presence in Polis is urgent!"

My gaze shifted to Clarke who was already nodding, her eyes were sad but full of understanding. The thought of leaving her filled me with dread.

"Come with me Clarke." I looked to her hopefully, "You are welcome in Polis."

"Lexa, I cant. I have to inform my people of my absence here before I go to Polis. You need to leave now." She walked forward and held my hands in hers, rubbing circles on my palms with her thumbs. "Its okay, go."

I looked into her eyes for a few seconds, unable to find any words. I saw Gustus shift uncomfortably in the corner of the room. "Leave us!"

"Heda" His need to leave for Polis brought him to anger. "We must go no-"

"Leave us now Gustus!"

Soon Clarke and I were alone in the tent. "Clarke, I wish you would come."

"I wish I could Lexa. Your people need you. Go find your Night Bloods and take care of your people. I will be here when you get back, I promise."

Before I could say anything she connected our lips. The kiss was short but it held all the words that I could not find to say to her.

"May we meet again Commander"

"Mebi oso na hit choda op nodotaim." [May we meet again]

———————————————————————————

I hoisted myself up onto my horse quickly, eager to begin our journey towards Polis. I looked back towards the tent to see Clarke staring back at me. I shifted in my saddle remembering how it felt to ride with her in front of me, my arms around her. She seemed to understand as her eyes got sad. I looked away from her, not wanting her sad eyes to pour into me.

Gustus saddled his horse next to me followed by five guards. Our trip would take us through the night, no doubt a dangerous feat.

"Heda" Gustus looked at me, a familiar softness in his eyes. "Do not worry yourself over the Natblidas."

"What if they are already dead?" My voice carried the coldness I felt.

"Ste yuj Heda" [Stay strong Commander]

I looked at him thoughtfully, nodding to him respectfully before taking the lead. The clicking of horses hooves sunk me deep into my thoughts. It felt good to have seen the softness in Gustus' eyes. It hadn't been there since I captured Clarke, he knew she made me weak. The weakness I felt within me when I saw Clarke scared me, I know it scares him too.

Gustus swore his life to protect me, ever since then he had become a father figure. I had missed his constant reassurances. I looked over at him riding comfortably in his saddle, scanning the woods for anything that may threaten my life.

He met my gaze and I allowed a small smile to spread across my features. He smiled back and continued to search the woods. The rest of the guards doing the same.

I sat up straighter in my saddle and attempted to look alert, clearing my mind of thoughts. The fate of the Natblidas kept creeping into my thoughts. I couldn't forgive myself for staying in TonDC instead of Polis if anything happened to them. I had no reason other than Clarke to be in TonDC. I should have been in Polis, leading my people as Commander. I put the Natblidas in danger with my absence.

I shook my head to clear my mind of those self depreciating thoughts. Titus should have been protecting the Natblidas. He was Fleimkepa after all. I looked at Gustus who looked back at me.

"What of the Fleimkepa if any harm should come to the Natblidas?"

A/N: I hate Titus. Any one else? What should be his fate? ;D