Chapter 18

_________________
Never have I dealt with anything more difficult than my own soul
__________

Atlas

I sighed heavily after reading Eden's little note and placed it back on the counter.

"I could go look for her", I say aloud. I walked towards the door, but my hand hovered over the knob.

"Don't bother, she'll be fine", a familiar voice said behind me.

I sighed once more and banged my forehead lightly on the metal door.

"Not you again", I breathed harshly through my nose.

"Yes, it's me again. And I will keep coming again, and again and again"

I painstakingly turned my head to look at the translucent entity standing behind me. He looked human enough, similar to a young teenager.

The short chestnut hair, loose grey hoodie, slouched shoulders and an annoying smirk was plastered on his face. He strolled over to me and practically breathed over my face like a dog.

"Go away, Tyler. I didn't summon you or anything so just leave", I demanded.

"Well I just thought I should see my good friend Atlas, see how he's doing, ya know?"

"I'm tired, come back when I'm not", I groaned.

"You're always tired though"

"My point exactly", Atlas said.

"Are you lonely? I've noticed that Eden isn't here"

"Eden is never here when I talk to you. Don't want her to think I'm crazy"

"Why would she think that?", Tyler began to float beside Atlas as he made his way to the semi functional kitchen.

Atlas took out a styrofoam bowl and plain cheerios from the more than half empty cupboard.

"You and I both know, that if I'm the only one who can see you and talk to you... well it doesn't make for a good image", he smiled a little at that.

He searched for the milk in the fridge only to throw it out because it was spoiled. He sighed and looked at Tyler.

Tyler crossed his arms and sat on top of the counter. "I think you should leave"

"Yeah, well there aren't many proper vacant areas to live in with Edens and I's condition", Atlas gave up on eating and instead leaned against the counter.

"I didn't say you AND Eden to leave, I said you should leave. Think about it for a second. You talk to the dead big deal, but you look normal. Eden has these big ass wings on her back"

Atlas frowned and his eyes narrowed. Tyler raised his hands in surrender, "Hey, no harm no foul"

Atlas shook his head, "You know I'm not leaving her. She's my friend, more than a friend to me"

A knock was heard from the other side of the door. "Atlas, it's me", Eden said from the other side.

I looked to Tyler and waved my hand at him, gesturing for him to go away.

Tyler rolled his eyes and said, "Fine, I know when I'm not wanted. I'll make like a diver and dip". And just like that, Tyler disappeared.

I opened the door and not only was Eden there, but another girl who I haven't seen in a long time was also there leaning against the door frame.

"Obsidian?", I asked in surprise. She looked different from a year ago.

Her once short black hair is now dark brown, her skin isn't bruised or scratched but fair. She actually would look beautiful to me if she weren't such a bitch.

"Hey Atlas, great to see you,long time no see", Her sarcasm dripped from her mouth.

"Not long enough it seems", I shrugged and smiled back at her in the same manner.

I know that it was Obsidian who unlocked the cages and caused all hell to break loose in the facility. I should be grateful, but I've had more than enough encounters with her to confirm my dislike for her.

Eden looked between us with raised eyebrows, probably confused about the hostility between us.

"Atlas, move so we can get in", Eden said.

I did so, begrudgingly.

There was a looming silence in the apartment once I relocked the doors. The only tension being the hostility between me and Obsidian, who was staring at me. Threatening me with her eyes.

"Well", she broke the silence. She sat down on the arm of the seat in the small living area. "I came here because I need help"

____________

Yo, I'm so sorry I haven't written in a while. Call it writers block 😅

Please vote and comment

Thank you!!