Chapter 22

Obsidian

I pinned the piece of paper which Eden had given me to the bulletin board. The board which looked like complete clutter with string, pins, papers, pictures, and large map covering it's surface.

I have spent all my time on finding out who 'The Head' was. It distracted me from feeling anything other than anger, hatred, and vengeance.

Anger is all that I had right now and all that I needed to hold on to, so that I could function throughout the day. I refuse to feel anything else that will deter me from my path.

I looked over at the new addition to the board, it was an invitation.

You have been invited to the grand opening of the New Sciene Institution of xxx.
A gathering of scientists and scholars, celebrating a new beginning for discovery.

This was gold information, if not, more valuable. I stood back and looked at the full glory of the many papers I've collected and information I've found.

I smiled.

All this work was tiring, but fulfilling. In the end, this wasn't all just for me. I was finding justice for everyone like myself. The justice that no one else sought, but hoped to be upheld.

I looked behind me and saw Aric asleep on the bed. His arms behind his head, completely at rest.

I don't think he understands, in fact, I know he doesn't. Eden also doesn't understand. She's been hiding for so long and playing "housewife" with Atlas for so long that she can't even comprehend-!

I was getting angry. I saw that my hands were beginning to smoke, and I looked at them with some sort of revelation.

I had so much power at the tip of my fingers, I could do so much with it. I  watched as a fire as small as a candlelight flickered in the grey light on my forefinger. It's glow gave me some satisfaction.

"Are you alright?", I heard Aric ask from behind me. I turned his way, still keeping my finger alight, and sat by him on the edge of the bed.

"Fire is what I had been gifted with", I told him. I played with it a little. I played with the small flame and let it light each of my fingers one at a time.

"It's beautiful", He said. His voice tired  but traced with awe and slight wonder. In his eyes were the small reflection of dancing fire.

"Isn't it?", I said incredulously. "But, it's more than that. I could do so much with it", I told him.
I watched his expression change to one of confusion and bewilderment.

"Like what?"

I closed my hand into a fist and then opened it again, setting my  hand aflame. I watched it spark, I watched how the flames danced. I watched the red and orange mix into a beautiful sunset of warm hues.

It was vibrant, it was exquisite, it was tantalizingly to the eye.

"I could burn everything", I said.

There was a look in Aric's ice blue eyes, which reminded me of something I once held in my own.

Fear.

I got rid of the flame and placed my hand just on the side of his face. It was smooth and cold, opposite of the power which I held. He was always cold feeling.

"Relax, Aric. I would never hurt you", I promised to him.

He was so innocent.

I bent down to kiss his forehead. "Go back to sleep. I'll join you in a bit", I said.

But with his innocence, he was also useless.

He doesn't really know what happened to him in the fallen Institute. He doesn't understand, he doesn't remember the horrors, and because of that... he's useless to me.

Aric is still living in a world where we were perfect. When everything was okay.

But in the end, I would never hurt him. With our past I don't think I ever could.

I ended up not going to sleep, and instead watched the board with ideas being played out in my head. Planning what I should do and how I could involve Eden.

I shook my head and hit it lightly with my palm. The voices were pretty antagonizing, and distracting.

Do this Obsidian. No, do that instead.

So much effort to silence them, it was hard to focus. I hope it doesn't become a problem later on.

Another reason why I hold onto my anger... to prevent myself from feeling the insanity which begs to be brought to light.