Just Like You

The Avengers (and more specifically Nick Fury) weren't used to not knowing everything about their comrades. One day Tony Stark, billionaire supreme, brought in a new member of the team- a young vigilante named Spider-Man. Now, usually this wouldn't be a problem, helping hands were always welcome when the fate of the universe was at stake, but for some reason, Tony refused to tell anyone anything about Spider-Man.

This made the team restless.

It just had to be a big/important reason why he hadn't told anyone.

So, one day when Tony was out doing CEO stuff with Pepper, the Avengers got together and brainstormed.

"Experiment," Clint threw out, laying upside down on the couch.

"No- Stark is highly against experimentation on living things," Bruce intercepted from his spot sitting by the kitchen island.

"Old friend?" Steve asked, spinning his shield on his fingers like you would a basketball.

"No one can be as old of a friend as you..." Natasha snorted as she poured herself a drink, making jokes about Steve's age was a favourite pastime of hers.

"You midguardians are thinking too simple- maybe the man of Spiders is from my world..." Thor started to list alien species, completely throwing off everyone listening.

Loki, who was wrapped in power binding chains, piped up from the sofa, "He could be a Larkin. They are dangerous yet interesting creatures. Might be in their nature to become a vigilante."

Thor simply shook his head at his brother, whom he was watching due to Asgard's dungeons not being able to hold him, "No, Larkins tend to take animal forms, such as a cat-"

"Enough of the alien talk, I'm pretty sure he's from Earth," Sam spoke up, fumbling his eyebrows in confusion. A Larkin? What the fuck was that?

"Ten American dollars says he's Stark's kid." Wanda piped up from her spot next to Vision. "Stark is known to have a lot of escapades, so maybe..."

Just then Tony walked in, "To save you all time, it's none of those things." He grabbed a drink from his personal bar, "And stop looking so into this, you're not going to find out who Spider-Man is until he is ready, or even out of high school for fuck's sake."

Steve spoke up, "Wait, high school?" But before he could continue his question, FRIDAY piped up with a warning of a huge fire in Queens.

"Under protection coding, Baby Monitor and Safety Gate, I am informing you of a fire in Queens where Spider-Man is involved. It seems that there are many people trapped inside, the situation is getting out of hand, sir. Would you like me to activate your fireproof suit of armour?"

Tony quickly told FRIDAY to activate the armour, and without another word, he leapt out the window to be caught by the suit, he was on his way to help out Peter.

The other Avengers gave each other a quick look before they all started to dash off to wherever the fire was. Getting there they'd get the chance to question Spider-Man, and they would save lives! It was a win-win situation, a kind of kill two birds with one stone vibe.

Only the vibe was ruined when they got to the horrendous scene, everyone was screaming, ash was floating gently in the air, smoke replaced the usual abundance of clean air, and the bright flames were trying to consume the whole apartment complex until there was nothing left.

But, there on the ledge, hanging from a web, was Spider-Man. He was trying to coax out a little kid from a window, but no matter what he did, the child refused to let go the curtain rod and move out of the building and to safety. "Mom and dad said they'd be right back, I can't leave or they won't come back." the child sobbed, clutching on tighter.

Peter softened, he remembered when his mom and dad told him they'd be back- but then never returned. He had grown attached to the spot he was when they had left, some small impossible part of him made him irrationally think that if he didn't leave the spot, that they'd come back. So years later, even after he knows they won't show up again, he still finds himself sitting there, waiting.

Peter wondered if the little kid was in the same situation, then hoped and prayed that the kid wasn't. No kid should ever have to go through that.

In a quiet, calming voice, despite the panic of the flames drawing closer, Peter whispered, "It's okay, we can look for your parents together once we get you out of here-"

"No!"

He continued as if he wasn't interrupted, "And if you stay here, you'll never get to see them again, bud. The fire is scary and it hurts, and I will not leave you. Peter knew that he could just grab the kid from the room with his super strength (and would do that if the kid didn't move before the flames closed in), but he knew that people needed to have a feeling of control in situations like these, to help dull the fear. If the kid came with him willingly, he would be more cooperative and less scarred later.

You learn a few things after a while of saving people.

"How do I know that you're not a monster," The kid asked, lip trembling.

With a small comforting smile, Peter lifted his mask to show his face, "See, I'm just like you, there is nothing to be afraid of. Just come here, and we can get you to safety."

The kid finally agreed and went into Peter's waiting arms, he quickly took the kid and himself to safety, only he forgot to put his mask down.

When he turned around, the whole Avengers team was gaping at the kid in the Spider-Man costume. He couldn't have been more than 16, and he was small in stature, wasn't the tallest guy, or the buffest, but he seemed to have wise eyes, and a sense of maturity around him.

Tony (who had emptied out the rest of the building along with the Avengers, and then had used a new product he was inventing to extinguish the fire in minutes) landed in front of Peter. He swiftly stepped out of the suit and hugged Peter close to his chest, "You scared me, kid, the whole fire situation was huge. You should've called me."

Peter gave a small, sheepish smile, "I thought I could handle it, but seems I couldn't. Thanks for jumping in and saving everyone, Mr Stark." Tony just jugged Peter tighter and let the stress release from his body.

"Seems Wanda was right..." Clint muttered before giving Wanda a $10 bill.

The kid tugged on Peter's hand, and so Tony had to step back so Peter could deal with the child who was basically clinging to his arm. Peter pulled down his mask to cover his face and then picked up the kid. "Do you see your parents, little guy?"

The kid nodded and pointed over to a frantic couple with tear streaks down their cheeks, who was looking left and right for their missing child. Without skipping a beat, Peter swung over to them and delivered them their kid, they gave him praise and thanks for what seemed like an eternity, both hugging the boy to their chests tightly.

Peter smiled under his mask at the sight, and when the boy looked at him, he simply winked at him. The kid mumbled to Peter, "Your secret is safe with me, Mr Spider."

In a confused voice, his mother asked, "What secret?"

Before Peter could come up with a lie on the spot, the kid had already spoken, "That he's just like you and me."

With that, the family was pulled away by paramedics and the conversation was over. Peter gave a smile to the Avengers and asked, "We should probably talk at the tower?"
When they nodded, he gave a content sigh.

Everything was just as it should be.

-=-

Ended a little weird bcs I'm tired and it's late, but hope you enjoyed this prompt. See you all next week!

(Keep the prompts coming!)

-SecretsInMyHead