Chapter-4

Natasha's POV

"What are you doing here? How did you find out our address?"

He chuckled softly, his warm green eyes lightening up in the process.
"Hmmm... subtle as always. I can't say I didn't miss you, Natasha".

My mouth snapped shut as soon as I realised how blunt my words were. Shooting him an apologetic grin, I rephrased, "I am sorry, yours was the last face I expected to see first thing in the morning. It's great to see you, Noah."

Noah.

For Noah it was....... standing at our doorstep at 8:30 in the morning, with his hands shoved at the pockets of his ripped jeans, wearing a black button-down shirt.

He smiled at me again with his ruffled I-just-got-out-of-bed light chestnut hair, dimpled cheeks, warm eyes and easy smile.

Somehow I could understand why Kim was so attracted to him.

Noah was our senior all throughout high school. His charming personality, intelligence and humble nature had made him quite popular. With his brains, everyone expected him to go for a white collar job after graduating from a prestigious University. However, he was firmly resolved to pursue his passion, music. Currently the lead singer and guitarist of the Indie-Rock band "Rusted Blue", he was touring with his mates from place to place, performing at restaurants, clubs and opening shows with other popular artists.

"............sure you're happy to see me?" He was saying, "Your words of welcome say otherwise".

I treated him to one of my best scowls, "Hey! Not fair, dude. You just took me by surprise".

"Nat!", it was Kim. "Who is it? We're running late, stop lingering at the doors-OH!" She stopped short as their eyes met, the flush adorning her cheeks could make the tomatoes hide in shame.

"H-Hi Noah!" She stuttered looking down at the floral pattern, as if she has suddenly developed a new found interest in it.

"Hey Kimberly", he smiled at her gently. "How's the best Cardiac surgeon in this town?".

************************

"Let me get this straight. He... Noah texted you asking for our address and you couldn't bother to tell me about this?" Kim stared.... more like glared at a bewildered Megan 20 minutes later.

"I am sorry. I thought it was probably nothing", Meg apologised. "What did he want anyway?" She asked looking at me.

"The band is currently in London and they are performing at this restaurant tonight", I said.
"He dropped by to invite us, saying we are the only people he knows in this city and he wanted to see some familiar faces".

"How could you've procrastinated telling me?" Kim was indignant.

"Don't try and blame me for......"

I sighed and walked away, praying for peace and content. But as their peculiar quarrelling went on, I knew my prayer was far-fetched.

******************
I scowled at my reflection in the back of my spoon. I was scowling a lot today, but then again luck had never been on my side. Damn my hair for not behaving when it should, and damn my best friends for not giving me a moment of peace as I dragged myself through the tumultuous experience which was my life.

And these promises broken,

deep below,

Each word gets lost in the echo....

As the strains of Noah's voice made their way across the room, the audience listened enraptured. The band was obviously, extremely talented. Noah's baritone along with the powerful strumming of the electric guitar and the heavy drum beats made for an exquisite performance. I closed my eyes and tried to lose myself within the music, trying to forget all my mundane anxieties and dissolve in-

The hairs at the back of my neck stood up.

The premonition was like a cold hand, stroking its way down my spine, every atom of my body telling me...something was out if place.
But the feeling wasn't sordid, rather, it sent shivers of anticipation running down my body. And yet, I knew things that allure are often dangerous. Just like the panther, beautiful as the sky on a moonless night, silently stalking its prey.

Someone was watching me.

I whipped my head around, my eyes scanning the interior of the dimly lit restaurant. I had always prided myself on my observant nature, and my ability to read between the lines. But, I saw nothing, no one out of place. I realised that Megan was looking at me with a concerned expression, I flashed her a reassuring smile, as I tried to revert back my attention to the performance. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't focus anymore. The feeling of being watched persisted.

The performance ended and there was a smattering of appreciative applause. I shook my head to clear the nebulous thoughts clouding my mind, and joined in.

**************
I sat at my table and watched as Kim walked up to congratulate Noah. She looked amazing tonight. Her black dress complimenting her mascara-lined eyes. And judging by Noah's grin, I was sure he thought the same.
As they laughed together, a small smile ghosted my lips.

"Penny for your thoughts!", came a voice from behind me. I spun around to see Aiden smiling at me mischievously. Aiden, the band's bassist, Noah's best friend and our senior throughout high school.

"You guys were amazing tonight", I said. "You deserve everything coming your way".

"That means a lot", he smiled. "You look beautiful tonight, Tash. The stuff of dreams".

I cringed at his horrible attempt in flirting, but stayed mum, silently sipping my drink.

"It's been so long since we last met. I'd like to catch up sometime", he took out his cell phone. "What's your cell?"

"It's 911", I replied, without sparing him a glance.

He chuckled, "You haven't changed, have you? Noah was right when he said you aren't the one to mince your words".

"Politeness is deception in pretty packaging", I replied, quoting Veronica Roth. "So how long do you plan on staying in the city?"

"A few more weeks", he replied. "We're holding up small shows throughout the city, hopefully people will turn up to watch."

"What about the publicity? No offence, but how do you afford that?" I asked. "Advertising can be quite costly, as far as I know.

"None taken, Tash. And yeah! You are right. It's a big bummer. But I've got my cousin who's higher-up at The London Herald. He is a great help, actually, helping us advertise at a far lower price then normally charged". Aiden said.

"Wow. That sounds awes-"

"Speak of the devil", Aiden interrupted me smiling. "Here he comes".

I turned around, the slightest hint of a smile on my lips to greet the newcomer.

Our eyes met.

My blood turned to ice. Adrenaline surged through my body as my knees trembled, threatening to give way and make me fall in those strong arms.
He smiled at me. But the smile didn't quite reach his eyes. The ocean blue eyes which I'd recognise anywhere. They were cold, yet beautiful, like a layer of ice which covers the lake in the dead of winter.

He leaned in, and I could make out his angular cheekbones. They had, after all, haunted me, in my deepest, darkest dreams.

"I told you to take a picture, sugar", he breathed against my ear, making me shiver in anticipation. "You really should learn how to comply, or else I will have to teach you. And that, trust me, will be a hell lotta fun".

Sebastian.