Chapter-18

I sat in the passenger's seat as we talked, hair blowing softly around my face, gazing out into the night sky as we sped back towards the city. As the wind gently caressed my face, I felt my eyes getting heavier and my body drooping, before I faintly registered him taking my left hand in his right one.

"Sleep," he murmured. "I'll wake you up when we reach home."

I let my body relax back into the leather and closed my eyes. In my stupor I lost track of time, but it could not have been more than ten minutes before I heard a low snicker from the seat beside me.

"What?" I groaned, trying to open my eyes as I turned to him. "Why can't I have even five minutes of peace whenever you're around?"

"You were snoring like a bear," he replied smugly. "It's kind of cute."

"I was not," I mumbled sleepily. "Ass."

He grinned at me before turning his gaze back to the road. I let my eyes linger, my gaze travelling up from his collarbone to his face, admiring the blue of his eyes that contrasted so sharply against his black hair.

"Let me know when you're done, creeper," his playful voice snapped me out of my reverie and I scowled at him, wanting to smack that smug smile off his face. He looked at me again, his expression changing to one of guilt. "I'm sorry about tonight. You're tired, we should have done this some other day."

"No." I tugged his hand closer and kissed his knuckle softly. "I really enjoyed tonight. I barely even knew much about you before."

"And I still don't. So," he raised an eyebrow as he looked at me. "Tell me your story."

"There's nothing exotic to know, really," I replied. "I had a fairly normal childhood. Born and raised in London, I was the younger of two siblings. My mom and sister are doctors too, dad's a physicist." I grimaced. "I was quite awkward growing up, though. Introverted, tall, gangly, with braces and acne."

His lips curled into a small smile. "I don't believe you."

I shrugged. "I'll show you a photo someday. I was a real nerd. I wasn't good at making new friends either, I've known Meg, Kim and Jason since I was a kid so I just hung around them."

"The douche from the party."

"Yeah, Jason," I said. "We grew up together, went to the same middle school and high school. He studied law, though."

Sebastian nodded absently. "What are you going to do about him? He's been trailing behind you like a puppy ever since he came back to London."

"I really don't know," I sighed. "It has felt really good to tell him off every time he's approached me, but no matter how tough I'm trying to be, he is my oldest friend and I miss him."

"He showed up out of nowhere and tried to kiss you."

"Yeah," I said wearily. As I turned to face him again, it was easy to make out the annoyed expression on his face.

"Hey," I ventured carefully. "Back at the party, when you said you'll take care of him-"

"I'm not going to kill him Natasha, relax," he rolled his eyes. "Not for now, at least. But if he tries something again, I make no promises."

I raised an eyebrow. "Slow down. We've been on one date, you and I. I don't need you to sort out my problems, Sebastian."

He looked at me incredulously. "You think I'll stand and watch as he tries to get his hands on you?"

"He'll do no such thing," I replied. "And even if he does, I'll kick him so hard in the balls he won't be able to walk for a week. Look, you might have annoyed me into going on a date with you, but I've known you for all of two seconds. I appreciate your concern, but this is not that big a deal. Whatever comes up, I can handle it."