Chapter-6

Natasha's POV

"Doc......Doctor Usbourne!! You have to go to the emergency ward immediately. There was a crash. 45 people are injured. HURRY!", Dr. Lee shouted, before running off towards the emergency ward.

I grabbed my stethoscope and ran after him. The injured patients were piling up one after another.

"Ahhhh! Please. Please pull it out. I can't take it!", the man sobbed, flailing his arms pointing at the protruding shard of glass struck in his cornea. I stared at him sympathetically.

"Dr. Schwartz! Book an OT now. Page Dr. Brian, We have to perform an immediate surgery on him."

I reassured the man and moved towards the other patients.

That's how the next 3 days went. The death toll reached 20. The two buses that crashed had about 40 passengers each.

To say I was tired would be like lying about my love towards Kang Daniel. I didn't get an ounce of sleep for the past 3 days. I rubbed my temples sighing as I made my way towards the vendor machine. I seriously needed caffeine.

As I was about to sit down. I saw Meg crying in the corner pulling her knees closer to her chest. I knew it was definitely due to one of her patient.

"Meg. Hey! Don't cry. It's not your fault, girl.", I muttered as I slid down next to her rubbing her back.

"B-But it is m-my fault",she sobbed violently. "She died before s-she even got a chance to see her b-baby. It's not fair Nat. W-Why is life so unfair?", I didn't reply to her question as she continued sobbing.

I knew she would eventually stop crying on her own. If I had asked her anything else it' would've made her even more sad. That's how Megan was. Despite her boss-girl attitude in front of people, she was actually a big softie.

I continued rubbing her back without saying anything. The silence was comforting our sorrows for the patients we lost.

*****************

Soon a week rolled by. And a month passed since that restaurant incident with him. Oh god. The night flashed across my mind vividly as I remembered his body pressed softly against mine, and his hair gently grazing my cheek as he kissed my jawline...

I shook my head to clear my mind. I didn't even know the guy, I should not have such thoughts right now, when so many people's lives depended on me. I couldn't afford even a single distraction.

On top of it all, I looked like a zombie. I sighed as I made my way towards the cardiac department.

"I think we should go home today", I muttered as soon as I saw Kimberly. She looked up at me from the report she was reading and smiled rather nervously. "I can't. Actually both me and Meg can't go home today. I m-mean we uh-have something.... something we have to check and discuss about this patient of ours. She uh-she actually has a risk of cardiac arrest while delivering her baby. And she is 8 months pregnant. So you know we-",

"Hey! Slow down tiger, I get it. I'll get going then. You two finish off your duties and come home soon. Bye!", I said and left.

What I didn't notice was Meg hiding behind the curtains of Kim's cabin, holding her breath.

*******************

The clock struck 7 pm and those two idiots were still not back. WTF were they doing? I scowled. Probably stalking some patients or their family members and claiming how hot those dudes look.

My stomach grumbled. Geez! I was really hungry but to my dismay our fridge was completely empty with only one, one apple in it!

I scowled again. I wanted to kill Meg. Grocery duty was hers this month. That bitch! She was probably stuffing donuts with Kim. After all that's what they always do. Before I could formulate a devious plan to kill them both, the telephone rang. No one has our tel's number. Who the fuck was calling me at this time?

"NATASHA! HEY NAT ARE YOU THERE?", Kim's voice blasted through the phone as soon as I picked it up.

"I am here dude. Stop shouting. Where are you?"

"Nat please come to Martha's soon please. Its an emergency. Meg sh-she is Oh god! Hurry up Nat please. And don't forget to wear something good. Come soon!", The line went dead. I stared more like glared at the telephone in my hand.

Seriously! What the fuck did she mean by "Its an emergency" and "wear something good"? Who the fuck dresses up in an emergency situation? I scowled yet again. Maybe Meg was right. I really was the scowling queen.

***************

Half an hour later. I was standing in front of Martha's. Everything was eerily quiet. The silence was disturbing. Martha's diner is usually very crowded. This was very odd. What did Kim mean by emergency? Did something happen? Was it a gang of robbers? But then why would she ask me to dress up?

I realised the answers to all my questions was inside the double doors. I let out a shaky breath as I pushed the door.

Black.

Everything was black. Not a single person was inside. What in hell happened here? Am I late? Did something bad happen to everyone? Did-

Sun shines so bright in the sky

Her smile, well it brightens up the world.

Noah! I turned my head frantically to see him singing. As soon as our eyes met he grinned.

Her eyes. Oh how they sparkle in the moonlight.

Coz she is amazing just the way she is.

Aiden's voice echoed. Slowly different corners of Martha's diner started to light up.

She makes her way into my heart

To take my breath away.

She is like perfection.

Megan and Kimberly slowly made their way towards me. That's when everyone screamed "HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATASHA!"

I was dumbfounded. I didn't remember today's date. I forgot my own birthday. I didn't even realise I was crying till Kim wiped my tears off and hugged me. Meg joined us too mumbling a soft "Happy birthday Naty-poo!"

"Hey! Stop crying, will you! You will ruin your makeup as well as mine", Kim laughed.

I tried smiling but failed miserably. I don't even know why I was crying. Is it because of this beautiful surprise my friends gave me or Is it because of the fact that I am hungry and I can't take it anymore? Gosh! I sound like Meg right now.

"Cmmon Naty-poo. Cut the cake now. I am hungry!" Meg exclaimed. Well, that's her.

"If you call me that name again. I won't hesitate to kill you".

She waved off my threat as she pulled me towards the cake table.

I gasped looking at the 3-tier cake. Meg continued rambling about the exotic flavours of this cake. I chuckled at her non-stop rambling. This girl really loved food.

I felt happy. Kim was grinning at me as she stopped Meg and whispered something in her ear. They both smirked at me.

"What?"

"Nothing, Nat. We have another surprise for you.", they replied in unison.

"Oh trust us. You are gonna love it.", Kim continued.

As soon as I saw what the so called surprise was, my feet froze on their own accord. I couldn't move. His smile was infectious as always. He was grinning ear to ear.

Yet I couldn't move, for it was him, the one person who had broken my heart without even trying.