Chapter 22

I laid on Luke’s bed for about an hour. Don’t worry, I wasn’t just lying there (sniffing his clothes or some shit.) He had a pretty rad game collection beside his television. His whole room was pretty tidy and smelt just like him. Luke had a distinct smell, but it is pretty perplex to describe.

If you’ve ever worked with insulation or known someone who has/does, you’ll know that dusty smell. It’s the kind of smell that makes your nose itch. It’s that mixed with mint and a sweet smelling aftershave (don’t forget the sweat.) Although it was pretty weird, it brought a smile to my face.

I grinned and twiddled with the game controller. I was playing GTA 5, I remember it so clearly. I couldn’t stand the attitude this skank was giving me, so I ran her over in my car. I snickered to myself as I mowed down the entire sidewalk. I wondered what Luke was doing. He told me he was with Melody, but he had been a lot longer than 4 hours.

I pushed the pause button and sat up. Maybe he was fighting. I sighed in relief. Of course he was fighting. I grinned and resumed my slaughtering. But what if he wasn’t, maybe he was in some kind of trouble? Maybe he was getting beaten up! I pushed the pause button again and jumped off the bed. I have to call him, I have to check.

My hand reached into my pocket, fishing out the rectangular device. I tapped the screen and his number was dialling. He had insisted I put his number on speed dial. I bit my lip in anticipation. After 2 dial tones, he picked up. “Hello?” His voice was raspy and damaged, just the way I like it. I licked my lips and greeted him.

“Maisie? I’m a little busy, can you call back in 10 minutes?”

I snapped out of my love drunk haze and let him have it. “No! I’ve been having a mental breakdown because of you! You have been gone for ages, nearly 5 hours!” I sighed and sat down on his bed. My voice softened once I realised how over attached I sounded. “I was worried about you, that’s all.” He giggled and presumably bit his lip.

“Calm down. I was buying some groceries. I ditched Melly an hour before schedule, so I decided to stock up on some food. I think I lost track of time.”

“Could you come home soon, I miss you.”

“Ha-ha, I will soon. Bye, Gorgeous.”

I blushed and grinned. He called me gorgeous. I ended the call and bounced up and down on the bed. “Did you hear that? He called me gorgeous!” I shouted out to nobody in particular. I settled down and sighed to myself. Two dreamboats liked me. I’ve had sexual relations with two dreamboats.

I turned the PlayStation off and skipped into my room. I have to decide which one I like best. Oh god, I sound like such a bigot. I’m turning into a Bella Swan character. I shook my head and brushed my hair a little. I looked out of the window, contemplating why they even like me.

I’m not tall and sexy like other girls, nor am I cute and short. I’m me and guys don’t like me. I sat down on my bed with a thud. Maybe this was all a dream. Maybe this is a coma dream, maybe I got hit by a bus on my way to the bus stop. What would they want with me? I felt tears slide down my face. I laughed and wiped them from my cheeks.

Oh god, I’m definitely turning into a Bella Swan character.

I closed my eyes and pictured Michael. His kisses were so sweet and made me smile. He was good fun and he held me close at night. He could make any girl immensely happy with just one night. His type of guy was a myth, the good guys that only exist in Nicolas Sparks’ novels.

I pictured Luke. Oh god, the ideal bad boy with a soft heart. His kisses were filled with different emotions. Love, passion, urgency, hate, need, sadness and ever longing need. If there was a non-fictional Heathcliff, we have him here. Compared to Michael, he held me tighter than an anaconda. And who wouldn’t feel safe in his arms, he is like a lethal weapon.