CHAPTER 2

As they were walking, Rue noticed the older kids from school who were always up to no good, known as Micha, Lawn, and Rinar throwing rocks at something in the forest. Rue hesitated when he saw them. For as long as Rue could remember, every fight that Harlow has gotten into was defending him from them.

            "Let's keep walking," Harlow said when he realized how uncomfortable Rue became.

             As they walked, unnoticed by the older kids, Rue was horrified to see the target of their rocks. It was a wild boar that was caught in a trap left by one of the villagers. As the boys threw their stones, many of it missed the animal, but the rocks that didn't cause the animal to squeak a gut-wrenching cry that Rue felt in his chest.

              "Please stop," Rue shouted emotionally.

              "Don't Rue, we can just tell an adult," Harlow said, pulling his arm.

                When the boys turned around, Rue could hear Harlow take a deep breath.
                "Look whom we have, it's the glove-wearing freak and his friend who is secretly in love with him," One of the guys said, tossing a stone into the air before catching it.

                "Ignore them," Harlow muttered, pulling Rue along.

                 As they did, Rue felt something hard hit him just above his right ear. The pain that followed felt like a burst of needles rushing through his body, and for a second, his vision in his right eye was blurry. Rue pulled off a glove and touched his head. He could feel the warm blood gushing from the opening.

                 Harlow grabbed his hand roughly and began running with him. As Rue ran, his vision returned, but he couldn't shake off the shocked he felt. The boys chased after them throwing stones and anything they can find at them.

                 "Why?" Rue thought sadly.

                  Harlow chose to run into the woods in hopes to slow the boys down. Rue was used to the same group of boys calling him all sorts of names and even shoving him around. However, he never expected that they would take a violent turn. At that moment, Rue realized that his life did not matter to them in the same way the hog didn't matter. However, he was happy that they were no longer torturing the animal.

                  Rue looked at Harlow, his hair blowing back like the trees, they passed as they sprinted. Harlow glanced back for a second before facing forward, never letting go of Rue's hand. That moment that Harlow looked back, Rue could see the horror on his face. Rue wished he kept silent.

                 The further they got into the woods, Rue recognized where they were. It led to a steep hill that was dangerous if not careful. When Rue turned around, it seemed as though the boys lost interest in them. Rue tugged on Harlow's hand, and when he glanced back and didn't see them, he began to slow down.

                  "I think we lost them," Harlow said out of breath. Despite that, he helped Rue sit so he could check him. Harlow looked like he saw a ghost. Harlow took off his tunic, revealing his undershirt, he rolled it into a ball and pressed it hard against Rue's head. Rue flinched, trying to catch his breath while at the same time trying to prevent himself from vomiting.

                 "This is not good," Harlow said, his eyes filling with tears.

                 "I'm sorry," Rue replied.

                 "You didn't do this," Harlow said, gently cupping his face with his free hand.
                  Rue's heart started to beat loudly as if it was its first time beating. Harlow's hand was warm and soft against his skin, and it felt different from when his mother held him. However, like with his mom, he felt safe. A warm feeling erupted inside of Rue, pressing on his heart — a feeling he has never felt before.