CHAPTER 45

Rue was annoyed with Roxas until he looked over and saw that he was in a pouty mood as he glared at sleeping Wren. Rue never thought about Roxas being jealous before, but the more time he spent with him, he saw it firsthand, and unlike Rue, he didn't try to hide it. Rue took his hand and squeezed it, and only then did Roxas turn to face him.

As Rue stared at him, he still could not believe how much time they have spent together over the last couple of days. The last time Rue saw this much of Roxas, it was when they first met.

Rue had always dreamed of the day he would get to spend forever with Roxas. It was mainly a dream, but Roxas' promise made it a reality, and Rue was happy.

"You have been smiling a lot lately," Roxas said, sweetly squeezing his hand back. "I had no clue you had dimples."

"I inherited them from my mom. The last time I've been this happy, mama told me I could go to school," Rue replied after staring at the darkened sky. "That, of course, later turned into a nightmare, but something magical came out of it," Rue said, kissing his hand before pulling him over to Wren, who was waking up.

Wren growled before pressing her face into him.

"My brother, in his authoritative ways, gave us permission to be together. We could have gone to bed and relaxed, but you decided you wanted to see her. This is like your 3rd visit today. I think you love her more," Roxas said, slightly irritated.

Rue grinned, unsure what to make of his jealousy.

"I love her dearly, it's true, it's more paternal," Rue said shyly before turning back to her. "Wren doesn't look it but compared to a dragon's 200 years life cycle. Wren is an adolescent dragon."

"How do you know?" Roxas asked.

"Our bond," Rue replied. "She will outlive us for sure," Rue said sadly at the thought of not being around for Wren one day. He pressed his face to her before turning to Roxas.

"If you have an heir, she won't be alone," Roxas replied.

"Maybe, until we figure how that would work. Get used to her as our child, and she may be the only one we will ever have," Rue told him.

"My only child is a beast?" Roxas growled, and Wren growled back at him.

"Yes," Rue replied. "But also, the baby I've sworn to protect."

"That baby is walking," Roxas uttered.

Rue smiled, remembering how small she was when he found her. Time does fly by fast.

"Right now, she is safe where she is. Once the war is won, we will have time to think," Rue said before turning behind him to open a map of Zutar.

As Rue suspected, the barrier was still down.

"What are you looking for?" Roxas asked.

"Heat that could be caused by a large amount of fire," Rue told him.

"Why do you care about that?" Roxas said, confused.

"Your brother was right. King Sinver may turn on his people. After all, he listened to my messages and did not reply," Rue told him.

"How long ago?" Roxas asked.

"Immediately after it was sent," Rue told him.

"He may be considering his option, or ways to attack or planning on destroying his own country," Roxas replied.