CHAPTER 34

When there was not a moving soul left, and the only sound was her wings breaking through the air, she landed beside them. The ground shook as she approached the shield growling softly, her yellow eyes glowing. Everyone who didn't know her were terrified, to the point that Rue feared they would go into shock if he didn't say anything.

"It's okay. She won't hurt us," Rue spoke, looking at all of them hunched close to the ground.

When Wren called to him by growling, Rue walked over to her. As he did, the knights tried to stop him. The moment Rue brought the shield down, they froze. With the shield down, Rue was able to look around and see the destruction of her flames. It looked as if an explosive detonated.

When Rue reached for her to approach, he felt everyone tried to grab him, but the moment she growled, they pulled their hands back.

"It's okay," Rue told them.

"Rue, you don't know what you are doing!" Simon cried.

When Reiyu's Knights gripped their swords, Rue warned. "Do not attack her. You won't stand a chance."

Wren growled at Rue before pushing her head into him, all the sadness that he felt in his heart went away. "You are stubborn," Rue told her as he rubbed between her eyes. "Am I your life now that you need to follow me everywhere?" Rue asked her.

When Wren pushed him again, he smiled for the first time since the nightmare began. Rue turned to the others, who looked as if they had seen a ghost.

"Wren is my friend," Rue told them. "She won't hurt you unless she feels you are a threat to me," Rue said mostly to the men who haven't explained why they are protecting him.

"How?" Simon uttered.

"It doesn't matter how we need to leave before more of them come," Astron replied.

When Wren opened her mouth around the arrow in his shoulder, it was only then that he remembered it was there. When Rue grabbed the arrow to push it out the back, one of the knights stood to help him.

"Let me, I am a healer," he told Rue while looking at the dragon that was showing her teeth to him. "Hold your breath."

When Rue did, he tore the arrow out before touching the wound to stop the bleeding. The pain took Rue's breath away. It reminded him of the injury he had on his back. He gave Rue a moment before he moved to Rue's leg and repeated.

Rue's eyes watered as he turned to Wren to calm her down, before turning to thank him.

"Can you help my friends?" Rue asked.

He nodded before turning to help Simon and Astron, who was struck by arrows. Simon, whom Rue thought would give him a hard time, allowed him to help. Astron backed away at first, but Tinso pushed him toward him, and so he gave in.

"Why are you protecting us?" Rue turned to the knights.

Their arms crossed against their chest, and they kneeled before him. "I am Omon. We are the royal guards of Reiyu. We've been looking for you since the barrier opened four years ago."

Rue was confused, "Why?"

"Your father," Omon spoke. "Your father has been looking for you and your mother for 17 years."

When Rue heard father, it was as if his soul folded into a fetal position. And clear tears rushed to his eye before Rue shook his head.

"Impossible," Rue uttered. "My father was killed before I was one. My mother would not lie about that," Rue snarled.

As Rue got angry, so did Wren. When Wren growled at them, and Rue did not stop her. After all, Rue could not process what he had heard.