CHAPTER 15

It was late now, and because of this, both groups walked carefully together as they crossed the bridge and headed back into the forest. The freezing wind that whipped through the spaces between the trees howled like a weeping animal. Moreover, it didn't help that the evening light was playing tricks on them.

Now that it was evening, Rue was sure the creatures of the woods would be watching them from their hiding places. As they track through the snow, Rue looked for the fairy but didn't see her. Rue couldn't explain why not seeing her made him anxious, especially since books claimed fairies' can't die. Still, it could not be proven that they can't die either. So he hoped he could see her and know for sure that she is ok.

The walk back felt longer, and it looked different from the path they took earlier. Rue was busy try to keep those around him warm that he missed when they took the wrong turn.

"Where are we going?" Rue heard Astron ask Tolum.

"I'll show you, it's on the way out of the forest," Tolum replied.

Rue's heart started beating fast as if Roxas appeared in his thoughts, screaming no. When Rue looked ahead, he saw a soft pulsing light glittering in the distance. His heart fell to his stomach, and all he could think about was his mother.

"Where are we going?" Eka asked. She sensed that Rue was trouble the moment the temperature of their surrounding dropped. Rue's eyes were turning red, so she quickly put the situation together.

"It's a surprise. Just come look," Tolum said, pointing ahead of them.

"What is that?" Tinso asked, pointing in the distance. As he started to walk towards it, Rue grabbed him to stop him.

"We shouldn't go," Rue said.

Reilo looked at his brother than to Rue, with a gnarl he ran off to see without him. Unable to let him go alone Tinso grabbing Rue and pulled him with him and the others followed.

One by one, everyone ahead of him stopped before the barrier. Rue stood behind them unable to take another step, the memories of the day flooded him as if the box he had closed opened.

Eka glanced at him and when she saw Rue's broken posture she walked over to him. Her eyes sadden as only she knew why being here was troubling for him.

"This is the barrier you found?" Astron asked him.

"Yes," Tolum said proudly.

"It really does exist?" Lashun said in disbelief.

"Yet, the underground is all you know," Pine replied.

"Rue look—," Tinso said, turning back to Rue. "Are you ok?" he asked.

Rue didn't reply.

"Father mentioned that a few years ago someone from the other world crossed into ours and died here," Tolum said, laughing.

Reilo frowned. "How is that funny?" he asked.

"It's not, sorry," Tolum said, not remorseful. "Here is the grave. What do you think about digging it out to see what it looks like," he said, standing on it.

The anger that has been building inside Rue from the moment Tolum opened his mouth exploded, and he moved so fast past everyone, punching Tolum to the ground.

"What the hell is your problem?" Lake shouted, running to help Tolum who struggled to get up. Tolum's nose was bleeding.

Rue could see that his friends were startled by his loss of control, but be didn't care.