CHAPTER 35

Rue's eyes slowly opened when he heard someone whispering his name. It was low, but the voice called it in repeat to try to get his attention without disturbing the dragon.

         When Rue looked down Wren's eyes were already open and was looking towards the sound. However, Wren didn't move as if she did not want to wake him. When Rue sat up, he watched as Wren's eye focused on him. Rue rubbed her, thanking her for comforting him.

Last night when Rue felt like the events of the day were crushing him, with the pain of being away from Roxas yet again, having Wren with him help balance his emotion. It wasn't until Rue leaned into her, closed his eyes, and saw the heart engulfed in blue flames beating in sync with Wren's heartbeat that he had proof that they spiritually bonded.

    Rue knew he couldn't stay hidden behind her wings any longers, so he took a deep breath and stood up. As Rue stood, Wren unraveled, and for those watching patiently from a distance for him to come out. Rue really did look like he had wings. Rue looked at the early morning sky before looking at knights around the dragon.

         They were either trusting that Wren wouldn't hurt them, or they were accepting the faith that they could die but couldn't leave his side due to duty. Rue didn't know what to make if this situation and decide not to think about it now because there were more important things to stress on.

          Rue looked beyond the guards and saw Sopha low to the ground calling him. She slowly stood but didn't move when Wren stretched. As he walked over to her, the knights followed.

          Rue saw that the villagers had also returned behind Sopha in the distance. Rue even spotted Zsuzsi and Eka. All of there eyes were looking past him at Wren.

                Sopha ran to hug Rue, and right as she pulled away, she uttered, "Thank you."

Rue nodded, despite feeling as though he didn't do anything at all, and that many people died already and couldn't save them. When the sadness started to creep into his heart, he pushed it away. It was too soon to be down, knowing they will begin to bury their dead.

           "I'm glad you came back," Rue said. "We will need your help to remove the rubble carefully," He told her.

            Sopha nodded, wiping the tears that fell from her eyes before looking behind him.

             When Rue followed her eyes, he asked, "Do you want to meet her?"

           Sopha froze and shook her head.

          "I think it's important that she recognizes those I consider my family. So maybe not now, but later," Rue spoke. Sopha looked at him and nodded.

             When Rue noticed the men at his side watching their interaction, he sighed.

  "Your grace," one of the men started.

              "So it's true," Sopha asked Rue.

           "I don't know," Rue said honestly, turning to the guy who called him. "Rue, it's always been just, Rue," he replied.

            "Sir," he then replied.

             When Rue sighed, the young man stopped and looked at Omon. Who offered no assistance.

            "If you are going to start back what we discussed last night, I don't want to talk about it," Rue warned, passing a glance to all of them.

             "No, it's just," he said nervously. He eventually pulled out a cloth that became wet and handed it to Rue for his face. 

              "Your signature is water?" Rue asked him.