CHAPTER 30

⚠️ ⚠️ ⚠️

Warning This Chapter Depicts Scenes that Violent.  (Similar to when Rue's mother died. For this reason the chapter will be broken into two to give break.  I don't think it's bad, but would rather play it safe) Reader Discretion Is Advised.

When Rue could gather the strength to move, he walked to the door clutching Roxas' sword with both hands. The guards that were usually there were gone. Rue thought it was ironic. When Roxas was there, Rue couldn't leave the room. Now that Roxas was leaving, there were no guards to force him to stay.

Rue touched the wall and felt for Roxas. After a few minutes, Rue saw Roxas, Osha, lady Ireia, the advisors approaching the castle entrance with an entourage of Knights. Moments later, they were gone. 

        Rue's finger trembled as he held Roxas' treasured sword in his hand. He felt like a widow given his beloved prized possession after he had died. Rue stepped back into the room, disheartened.

  Rue was sad that he couldn't help him. There was no way he could if he wanted to. Rue was still technically a fugitive, who could not fly. Yes, he could build shields and transfer people, but that is only limited to places he has been. Rue felt hopeless and wondered was this how the demigods felt when they could not travel to save their own lives.

          What was the point in being as powerful as they say they were, with such a great default? What was his purpose if not to help others? It sickened Rue to think that in the end, he was left always protected like a delicate flower while others risked their lives around him.

"If I could just fly," Rue muttered, sorrowfully.

       When Rue saw the dragon in the distance, he thought about riding her, but to where? He had no clue which way to go and had never experimented scanning beyond the province, fearing the cost to his energy would leave him bedridden. On top of that, Rue didn't even know how he would ride a dragon, especially one that hasn't fully healed.  

           Rue went for his father's stopwatch with the picture of him and his parents and opened it. Rue then placed it on the bed beside the Roxas' sword. He doesn't know what he would do if he lost the rest of his family.

He spent the next few hours unable to sleep, thinking about what he could do to help. When his fingers touched his lips, he knew for sure that if anything happened to Roxas while he was playing princess, Rue would never forgive himself.

          When the sky slowly moved from outside in, Rue stood and went to change his clothing—putting on the coat Harlow had given him. He grabbed the stopwatch and placed it in an inside pocket, before attaching Roxas' sword to his hip and wearing his bow. 

            When Emy entered, Rue turned to her. She looked confused, looking at him.

          "Did you want to eat with her?" Emy asked, looking out the window. "I can package this for you."

           Rue smiled. "Here is fine," he told her. As they walked together to the sitting area, Emy's eyes noticed Roxas' sword on Rue, and she hesitated.

            "Did he give it to you?" Emy asked, dumbfounded.

            "Just to hold," Rue replied.

            "He must..." she paused. Then she smiled. "He must love you, not even Princess Osha can touch it, and that is his bosom friend." She placed the tray down and sat across from him as he ate.

            "His highness had said you could leave the room and go anywhere in the castle, you please," Emy said happily.

           Rue swallowed hard. He felt sad and irritated at the same time. He only wanted to leave the room because he wanted to be wherever Roxas was. It made no sense now.