CHAPTER 29

As Rue watched Osha leave, his mind returned to that moment that Roxas took Lady Ireia's hand. Rue questioned himself on whether he had the right to be bitter about it. That was knowing their feelings for each other enough to justify his jealousy.

Lady Ireia was his bride to be after all, and when he and Roxas were together, Roxas could barely stand to discuss the matter. So Rue wondered if Roxas did it on purpose because he was upset with him and knew that it would bother him. Thinking back on everything Rue has done, maybe he deserved it.

Rue turned to the castle and only saw the guards and the onlookers staring, Roxas, Osha, and the others had disappeared beyond the walls leaving him outside.

When Rue realized that Roxas didn't order him to return to his room, he wondered what that meant. Does this mean he was free to explore? Or did Roxas feel that because the dragon was there, he had no other choice but to let him free?

When the thoughts crossed his mind that the Queen's sister and the men whom Rue suspected were Roxas' advisors, saw him. Rue was uncertain of the trouble it could eventually bring. What if they sent word to the capital that there was a dragon on the prince's province? Rue sighed, knowing there was a chance that it was also something Roxas was worried about.

Rue turned to the dragon that had closed her eyes to rest.

"You cause me so much trouble," Rue replied, feeling down.

Although Rue was relieved that Roxas allowed her to stay despite him hating her very existence. Rue was sad for the misunderstanding Roxas might be feeling at the moment for letting her stay. Rue knew Roxas went against his best judgment out of fear of losing him. Rue just wished that Roxas wasn't in a hurry to leave his sight so he could explain himself.

"Roxas is very angry with me," Rue told her when her eyes opened.

Rue walked over and sat in front of her. "I think you are free to stay for the time being. So if you want to stay with me, you know I will never turn you away, but people aren't food."

When she brought her head to his lap, she was warm, and her head heavy, Rue smiled before trying to move her head off.

"Roxas is a great guy," Rue told her. "He only wants to protect the people he loves and serve his country."

When she blew roughly at him, Rue laughed. Rue's heart felt light, and at that very moment, he was happy. This untangled pleasure made him feel worried as if something terrible was going to happen. Happiness was only temporary for him. Still, Rue couldn't explain why he enjoyed her company so much. Then he realized she was so much like him.

"You and Roxas are so much alike, and at the same time, you remind me of me," Rue added. "The princess believes naming you would separate you from other dragons. You are nothing like that dragon we encountered. So would you like a name?" When she blew at him again, he smiled.

Rue thought of a name suitable for a dragon for a long time and couldn't come up with one. When the dragon looked past Rue, he turned and noticed Emy standing at the edge of the garden in the distance holding a basket. Rue rubbed the dragon's head before standing to go to her.

When the dragon rose, Rue shook his head before leaving her. As he walked away from her, she returned to rest. Rue knew in his heart that she wasn't going to be a problem and hoped that Roxas would one day come to like her if she chose to stay with him.

Emy didn't see Rue as he approached, she was like the onlookers who snuck glances out the window at the dragon laying out on their lawn. She looked terrified but amazed at the same time.