CHAPTER 10

Roxas distant behavior from the night before continued into the morning, after breakfast, Roxas took Rue back to the open field where they work on breathing exercises to help clear his mind. Rue didn't want to be left behind, so he worked really hard, and yet no progress.

Roxas, in the beginning, wasn't angry, but he seemed impatient as if time was running out. Whenever Rue heard Roxas disappointed sighed, Rue's heart would ache more and more — making it difficult to think about anything other than how Roxas was feeling.

At some point in the afternoon, Rue watched as Roxas turned his back to him. Roxas gazed into the sky as if he and time had frozen. It was quiet, perhaps the mana of their surrounding sensed Roxas foul mood and decided to keep even the dry air away. Blue flames spread from Roxas' fingers to the rest of his body before whipping around Roxas like a funnel cloud. When Roxas turned his head back to Rue, Rue was frightened by the dangerous look in Roxas' eyes.

At that moment Rue' heart started chipping, he remembered what Roxas had told him about the two things he needed to survive in this world, and it was fight or flight, and it seems as if Roxas had temporarily given up on Rue's ability to fly.

By now, Rue can feel that Roxas was angry. Rue could feel the heat radiating off of him from where he stood. Very different from the minimum power Roxas used on him yesterday. When Roxas vanished, Rue stopped breathing, he was shocked and even more shock when he felt him standing behind him. When Rue saw a fist covered in blue flame aiming for his face, Rue crosses his arms to block the punch, not realizing that Roxas had planned for him to do so, allowing an opening to kick him.

Rue side ached so much that he thought his ribs were broken. He heard Roxas order him to get up, and shockingly Rue obeyed. The energy that Rue managed to use the day before released as if triggered by Roxas tremendous energy. Through the raging winds that circled him, blinding him from seeing where Roxas was, he heard Roxas shout all he needed to do was land a hit on him, and his attack would stop.

So Rue tried to hit him, blasting orbs of wind infused with electricity recklessness in every direction till he could feel his body draining.

The hair on his skin stood when he felt Roxas appear beside of him, and before Rue could block his attack, Roxas fist had already made contact with his stomach sending Rue tumbling down a small hill. As he fell, Rue tried to grab anything to stop from rolling, but trying to stop himself was like trying to keep from sliding down the side of a smooth boulder.

With his back against the ground, Rue thought about staying in the position. He was confident that Roxas wouldn't attack him if he just laid there. He was right, he could feel Roxas presence, but he kept his distance.

When Rue thought about his mother and best friend and how they died because of him, he stood up, charging at Roxas who watched him with sad eyes. Every punch, blast that he directed at Roxas missed. Rue, despite feeling physically exhausted and physical in pain didn't stop. He wanted to land a blow, he had to.

As he fought him, he realized his limitation, the actions and reaction time was slow compared to a Roxas. Almost as if Roxas has already figured out his fighting style. That angered Rue. He wished he was stronger and unpredictable. Had he been better, none of the events that occurred in the last couple of days would have happened. Roxas, as well as the Arlets, would not have to risk their livelihood to hide his existence.

Rue couldn't stop himself from crying when he tried to punch Roxas but missed. From the corner of his eyes, he saw a fist approaching, and before it made contact, Roxas stopped. Rue could still feel the residual force from the punch that could have been. It rested on his cheek before blowing past him.