CHAPTER 50

Once the news that King Sinver's reign was over, the world celebrated for many days. So much so that the mana in the air felt different from what Rue remembered.

In Zeoul, fireworks could be seen from every angle of the Verlarin Palace. While King Siel put on a face to celebrate with his people, he was at his brother's side every chance he had to break away. Nothing King Siel could say to Rue could make him leave Roxas side even for his own health.

From the moment they brought Roxas home, they have been in a scramble to identify the poison. Leaders around the world sent their best healer to assist, and when they discovered the poison and removed it from his system. Roxas mana would not unlock, and he had been sleeping since. No one could explain why or if he would ever recover, but there was a likely chance that if he mana does not return, he can pass in his sleep.

Rue cried himself numb, sitting in silence, refusing to see anyone as he contemplated his actions that put Roxas in this situation. Roxas was right, Rue caused him only trouble.

Rue knew that happiness for him was short-lived, that he should have waited instead of wanting the war to be over. All Rue wanted was to finally enjoy life with his beloved. Now that the fighting was done, Rue got the opposite. He was unhappy and alone, waiting for Roxas to decide whether to meet him in this lifetime or the next.

As day turned to night, and Rue's eyes were too heavy to stay awake. He crawled into bed next to Roxas. Rue wiped his tears before he turned on his side to trace Roxas' profile. When his fingers began to tremble, Rue pulled his hand away.

"Please keep your promise," Rue begged, closing his eyes.

The next morning, Rue's body felt heavy, and he thought his grief had left him paralyzed. When Rue felt hair across his face, he opened his eyes and found Roxas lying halfway on top of him. His face nestled in Rue's neck. Rue froze, wondering if he had moved Roxas like a blanket in his sleep.

Rue's eyes watered as he ran his fingers through Roxas' hair, and kissed his cheek before apologizing for moving him. As he gently laid Roxas back down, he continued to apologize, before lying on his back and covering his teary eyes with his forearm.

As Rue cried in silence, he heard Roxas say in a hoarse voice, "Which one?"

Rue froze. He turned to Roxas, whose head was turned toward him. Rue couldn't find his voice. It felt like a lifetime had passed since Rue saw Roxas' eyes open. It felt like a dream.

Roxas lifted his head when he saw how shocked Rue was and smiled before kissing his forehead. "Which promise?" Roxas asked, and Rue remembered his words to him the night before.

When Rue still couldn't speak, Roxas grinned before softly pressing his lips to Rue's over and over again. "I plan to keep all of my promises," Roxas whispered. "Starting with the last one."

Rue shut his eyes, wrapping his arms around him, and for the first time in a long time, life didn't feel so cruel.

The End.